Pool company fired me. Time to learn to do on my own.

duraleigh said:
Regardless of blame, be sure you keep plenty of chlorine in that pool (like 12-14ppm) or go ahead and begin the drain refill process to get your CYA around 40-50 or so.

YOur pool is a prime candidate for an algae bloom.

thanks, currently at 13. They are due out on Thursday for their last visit. To avoid them telling me I caused this, i am not adding or draining it until after Thursday.

Well is looks like the pool company wants to play ball. After i sent a nicely worded email to them I got a call not more the 10 minutes later. I have an email that they will pay for the water bill to bring the cya down. Eventually I will get it down below 100 but it will take several drain and refills. If they pay for at least 1 of the refills I made out ok.

Mike

Took way longer then i thought it would to drain part of my pool. Since my cya is at best guess close to 200 I wanted to get as close to 50% of the water out on the first shot.

My house is a higher elevation then the road buy a foot or 2 so I felt my hydrostatic pressure was pretty low. Also we are in a sever drought down here in Florida.

Initially I thought my pool was closer to 15,000 gallons but after some measurements and then some online calculations I believe it is more like 10,000. Its about 24' long, 3 feet in the shallow end, 6 feet in the deep end and is kidney shaped with the circles being about 14'. Depths are as close as I could get without actually climbing into the pool.

I drained between 1'6" to 1'9" so based on that i think I got about 40% of the water out. Not as much as I wanted but about all I was comfortable with. So that should get me to around 120 cya. If all goes well ill do another drain and fill over the weekend. That should get me close to 70-80.

I would think if I am going to do a drain and refill over the weekend that there really is no reason to get the pool balanced. Ill let it circulate for a few hours before I drain again to insure the cya is circulated.

Mike

mdhwoods said:
Initially I thought my pool was closer to 15,000 gallons but after some measurements and then some online calculations I believe it is more like 10,000. Its about 24' long, 3 feet in the shallow end, 6 feet in the deep end and is kidney shaped with the circles being about 14'. Depths are as close as I could get without actually climbing into the pool.
I get about 10k gal also, using the dimensions and shape you gave. It's close enough for government work!

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

It looks as though the pool company already knew your CYA was too high because they had your FC level up to 13, so they were already compensating for it. That is probably the reason they didn't balk at the request to pay for the water for the drains and refills.

heatmisr said:
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

It looks as though the pool company already knew your CYA was too high because they had your FC level up to 13, so they were already compensating for it. That is probably the reason they didn't balk at the request to pay for the water for the drains and refills.

Yup i agree. The part that bothered me is if I had not made the choice to learn, they could have just said in a few months that they had nothing to do with my problem. But because i choose to get proactive they had no choice.

First drain went pretty good. I was hoping for below at least below 120 and ended up at right around 100. Because the test leaves so much to judgment it was really hard to tell. With a 50/50 sample it actually looked more like 80 but with a non diluted sample closer to 100. Currently pumping another 30-40% out. If i get to around 70 ill probably call it good. I am sure with the summer swimming and the rain if we ever get it i will be able to get it to drop some more.

Ok, 2nd partial drain and refill complete, and the numbers are in

ph - 7.4
cya ~ 60
ta - 60
fc - 0
ch - 350

now on the ch i am having trouble getting the blue end point. I get floaties and more of a purple endpoint. So I followed this but it really didn't seem to matter. So i am not completely confident of my ch.

Here's what Waterbear says about the tricky and complex CH test:

waterbear wrote:

add the first reagent, swirl for 20-30 seconds. add the indicator (second reagent) and swirl to mix well. add the titrant one drop at a time and swirl for 20-30 seconds between drops.

If you get a purple endpoint or 'floaties' in the sample add 6 drops of reagent 3 (the titrant) FIRST and swirl to mix then proceed with the procedure above. Be sure to include the first 6 drops you added in the final count of drops.

Ph is a tad low but i am not going to adjust until after i get the fc up because it is so close. TA is also a bit low. Just brought pool up to shock and will check all the numbers tonight before bed. If ph and ta are still low since the refill just finished i am going to adjust those tomorrow. An additional advise on the CH test would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok last night numbers were

fc - 19.5
cc - .5
ph - 8
TA - 100
cya - 60

This mornings numbers are

fc - 17.5
cc - .5
ph - 8
ta - 90

Did i loose enough fc that I have something going on? For my cya my shock is 18. Should i keep the pool at shock and see if there is any change tonight? Gonna get some muratic acid in there today. Just need to get over to Home Depot and pick some up.

Thanks

mdhwoods said:

fc - 19.5
cc - .5
ph - 8
TA - 100
cya - 60

This mornings numbers are

fc - 17.5
cc - .5
ph - 8
ta - 90

Did i loose enough fc that I have something going on?Yes For my cya my shock is 18. Should i keep the pool at shock and see if there is any change tonight?Yes Gonna get some muratic acid in there today. You reported pH 7.4 yesterday with the refill. I'd ignore the pH test until your FC is below about 10. High FC will give a false high pH reading. Just need to get over to Home Depot and pick some up.

Thanks

Butterfly said:
mdhwoods said:

Did i loose enough fc that I have something going on?Yes For my cya my shock is 18. Should i keep the pool at shock and see if there is any change tonight?Yes Gonna get some muratic acid in there today. You reported pH 7.4 yesterday with the refill. I'd ignore the pH test until your FC is below about 10. High FC will give a false high pH reading. Just need to get over to Home Depot and pick some up.

Thanks

That's great to know. Every day I become a bit more dangerous with my education.

Thanks

Now that i think i have this all figured out I have 1 more question. If my fc target is 5-9 for my cya do i assume i want to take it up to like 11 each night so that during the day as it burns off and get consumed I always end up between 5-9? I seem to consume about 2-3ppm and its not even the middle of the summer yet.

Thanks

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 80
You want to adjust your FC level in the evening, so that it is always at least 5 the next evening. Typically that means raising it to about 9, but conditions vary quite a bit. Experiment with different levels and see what level gets you 5.5 or 6 the next evening, keeping in mind that this will change with the wether and the bather load.

Ok, that's what I figured at first but also did not want to get too close to 5. I have it up to 10 tonight and will see what my loss is tomorrow night. I do not get a ton of direct sunlight and its also in a pool cage. Though with the solar panels I run it at about 86 which i am sure doesn't help the consumption.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.