In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have noticed this on three of my clients pools. The pool company opens the pool and always turns jets up. I turn them down and when they come back they turn them up again. PH is good so no need to aerate. Wondering if anyone knows why they do this? Consensus always seems to keep them angled downward and in same direction unless you are dealing with TA and PH issues and need to aerate. Have I missed something?

Thanks!

Mine are turned up to help with the skimming effect. Just enough to make a very gentle ripple on top of the water and direct the water around the pool.

Reactions: borjis
Mine are turned up to help with the skimming effect. Just enough to make a very gentle ripple on top of the water and direct the water around the pool.
I have always understood that it is best to angle the jets downward for better circulation and turnover. And that when you point the jets up it causes more evaporation, uses up chemicals faster, and requires more time for skimming.

Turnover is, for all intents and purposes, a myth and should be probably be disregarded.

I don't see how exactly it would make skimming take longer, but I'm also not a physics expert. To me, it makes sense because I can physically stand out there and watch it happening. Something will fall in the pool and the water moving will eventually carry it over to a skimmer. Granted, scientifically speaking, I have not tried pointing all of them down to see if the same thing happens. I do not see any unusual pH rise or chlorine usage with my jets angled where they are.

The only time I can see a definite appreciable pH rise is when the spillover is run for too long.

Turnover is, for all intents and purposes, a myth and should be probably be disregarded.

I don't see how exactly it would make skimming take longer, but I'm also not a physics expert. To me, it makes sense because I can physically stand out there and watch it happening. Something will fall in the pool and the water moving will eventually carry it over to a skimmer. Granted, scientifically speaking, I have not tried pointing all of them down to see if the same thing happens. I do not see any unusual pH rise or chlorine usage with my jets angled where they are.

The only time I can see a definite appreciable pH rise is when the spillover is run for too long.
With jets pointed up It takes longer for skimming because of the greater movement of the water. With jets angled downward not only does it help with circulation but it also helps to keep debris from settling on the bottom and on surfaces and allows dirt and debris to move into the skimmer for better filtration.

With one of the pools, I notice there is dirt settling on the bottom when jets are turned up and when we turn them back downward, it helps get the dirt off the bottom and moved into the skimmer. I keep trying to find any info to suggest jets to be pointed up and other than to aerate when adjusting TA, I don't see this recommended.

Do you have a robot of any sort? Pressure side cleaner? I have zero debris on the bottom of my pool, but the Polaris is also running a few hours each day.

Do you have a robot of any sort? Pressure side cleaner? I have zero debris on the bottom of my pool, but the Polaris is also running a few hours each day.
Pools in question are for my clients upon opening. One pool is a 40k gallon rectangular pool and the other is a tad smaller oval. Both have deep ends and two return jets. These pools are opened by pool store and they always leave jets up. I always turn them back down when I start my pool maintenance procedures.

Our pool is always sparkly :) I have a couple of dead spots that get poor circulation. But overall our jet does a great job. I throw in our creepy krauly a couple days a week to get the dead spots cleaned up.

For the sake of experimentation I reset all my jets to be angled slightly downward instead of slightly upward. I reset the pH to be 7.5, so I'll be interested in seeing how quickly the pH rises now that the water is almost perfectly still minus one part where the jet is aimed somewhat at the spa wall (nothing i can really do here otherwise it'd create a dead zone) and it's causing a little turbulence. We'll see how it plays out and if it's any dirtier/cleaner/or the same!

Wondering if anyone knows why they do this?
Maybe the customers call and ask why the pump is not on because they can’t see the water moving.

So, it makes it more obvious that the pump is on.

Maybe the customers call and say there’s dirt on the floor, so turning the jets up makes it harder to see the floor and they get fewer complaints.

Maybe it is to try to get better skimming.

Maybe stop by the store and ask them why they do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe the customers call and ask why the pump is not on because they can’t see the water moving.

So, it makes it more obvious that the pump is on.

Maybe the customers call and say there’s dirt on the floor, so turning the jets up makes it harder to see the floor and they get fewer complaints.

Maybe it is to try to get better skimming.

Maybe stop by the store and ask them why they do it.
Thanks for the feedback! Thought I'd start here since I trust the guidance from TFP. Hope everyone has a wonderful day! It's beautiful here and we are floating :) :) :)

So after a few weeks of of having the returns pointed slightly downwards instead of slightly up, I can come to the conclusion of.......

... I don't think it matters at all. Same amount of junk in the skimmers, pH rise seems to be the same, no more or less stuff on the floor of my pool. Granted, this is a single pool's worth of experimentation over ~3 weeks so YMMV, but from what I can tell it seems to be largely irrelevant as long as they're circulating the water in SOME way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.