Pool cloudy, low pH, high chlorine

HI there David :handwave: You've come to the right place for a cure.

Your first problem is relying on "Guess-Strips" instead of a good drop tester for pool owners. We can't trust or get good results from them, I'm sorry. We endorse either the K-2006C or the TF-100/TF-Pro kits, assuming you're not in a small seasonal pool?

Tell me about your pool? How large? What type? How do you sanitize it? What equipment do you use?

We need to know:
Free Chlorine Level (FC)
Combined Chloramines Level (CC)
pH
Total Alkalinity (TA)
Calcium Hardness (CH)
Stabilizer Level (CYA)
Salt Level if Applicable

Pool Care Basics
SLAM Process
PoolMath

Holler back with specific questions, please.

Maddie :flower:

Hello! Thank you for the reply. Remember, this is off strips, but directionally correct:

Free and total chlorine both 5
Alkalinity 120
pH 6.2
Total hardness 250
Cyanuric acid somewhere between 0 and 40. Call it 20.

It is an 18x36 inground vinyl liner. 6 foot deep end. Approximately 20,000 gallons. Sanitize with chlorine tablets in-line chlorinator. Sand filter.

Pool probably needs to be vacuumed as well.

Uh....sorry but no bueno. Strips don't give any accurate precision reading for chemistry. Yours are all over the place.
If your pH is truly that low, your TA would also be lower.
If your pH is truly that low you are doing permanent damage to your liner. And probably equipment also, as your pH may be much lower .... then again, might be higher since strips suck at giving accurate results.

Please do yourself a favor and read the links I sent, and obtain either the Taylor K-2006C or the TF-100 or Pro test kit.
The Taylor can be found at various sites online but make sure it contains the FAS-DPD powder test for FC/CC .
The TF test kits can be found at www.tftestkits.net

You have a good size pool. Until you get a test kit we can trust we're in a holding pattern.
You should stop using pucks as most likely they are complicating, if not outright causing, your problems.
Use Liquid Chlorine, most often 10-12% found in pool stores, Walmart pool section, HD and Lowes, etc.
I'd add one gallon a day and brush, until the test kit arrives.

Then we'll feel far more comfortable giving your good advice and not just grasping straws and guessing.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.