Pool cloudy and going green, help please.

In your situation Gary, I think a SWG as suggested first By WoodyP would be a helpful upgrade for your pool. If you can keep your pool guy on the same page doing what you need, it will go much better in the future. If you use what you're learning here and the pool guy follows, and keeps up with his end of it, you'll have no trouble like you did in the past.

Patrick_B
In your situation Gary, I think a SWG as suggested first By WoodyP would be a helpful upgrade for your pool. If you can keep your pool guy on the same page doing what you need, it will go much better in the future. If you use what you're learning here and the pool guy follows, and keeps up with his end of it, you'll have no trouble like you did in the past.

I'm researching all the info on the forum on SWG's, more than likely going that route. Need to have the discussion on the management of the pool when I'm over next month and lay the plan out ( I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions around that later?)

graler

Maybe a TFP Lifetime member from a Northern area needs a vacation. For a deep discount they show up with their test kit in hand. Just thinking out loud.

Depends how deep the discount is and how good they are with the test kit ?? Have plenty of guests over winter months from the northern states and Canada, affectionately known as 'SnowBirds' in vacation rental circles.

kimkats

Caretaker all the way with the help for sure. Hopefully he can and will test and do things right now.

I'm not convinced he thinks his way wasn't right, which is a hurdle we will have to get over!

Been away, but here is an update:
Got a report back after 2 days to say pool water balanced and pool back in service, now a month ago before I found TFP, I would have been over the moon-good job etc, but with the knowledge picked up this far I now know better. To make things worse I followed the post on 'starting from scratch' and saw what effort was involved in doing it the right way. So I'm either very lucky or the pool guy is a magician.
Unfortunately neither is true! I finally got hold of the guy and here is what I asked/discovered;

Me 'Did you slam the pool'? PG 'what do you mean?, I explained the slam process described on here, he'd never heard of it!! never mind used it.
Me 'So what are the chem levels?' PG ' ph ok ( well it would be it's just come out the tap) Chlorine a bit high???
Me 'What's a bit high' ( no numbers), 'what about CYA, PG ' can't check for that, that's a pool store job , Sh.T!!!!! ( at this stage I'm getting a little concerned) 'How about TA, CC,FC,CH??, not checked 'Double Sh..T' ( now I'm worried).

So I think it's fair to say I've found the root cause to all my pool issues, my pool guy!!! obviously the pool survived the last three years thru luck & good fortune rather than management or care of any description.

In the absence of any useful test results, I know it's frowned upon here and the majority of results are questionable at best, but I've had the Caretaker take a sample to the pool store. ( He's only got the basic dip test strips), but I am still waiting on these. Is there or does anyone know a make of test strips that give reliable ' ball park' results, that I can have him use in the interim?? The Aquachek 7-1 seem to get some decent reviews??

I'll be pool side in 16 days to sort this mess out ( can't come soon enough) and I'm expecting the worst when I get there, hopefully the pool will be recoverable without too much downtime as it will be nice to get some use out of the pool whilst there.

Still using pucks, but probably not a bad thing since it looks as though 'NO' additional stabilizer has been added (given that it's not been checked for), so at least there should be a low level present? I'll know better once the pool store test is done.

The plan forward;
Hopefully get the CYA level something like before arrival from the store tests ( post results here for advice);
Full set of Tf100 tests on arrival (post results here for advise);
If Ph and CYA some where near then start Slam. ( I've got 16 days, so hopefully good before then)

The future;
Unfortunately due to my circumstances, I can't be there to care for the pool, so, already contacted another pool service company, who advertise they do proper tests with Taylor chemicals, have a telephone call set up later today to discuss. Then hopefully a meeting when I'm out.
Will be discussing with the caretaker to see if that's an option for some proper testing!!
Will be installing an SWG, whilst there, although I know this will not fix my problems, hopefully it will make things more manageable in the future. (I'll start a new thread for advice/makes etc).
Need to come up with a 'workable' stategy for testing ( may be hybrid of above), I don't see I will get daily tests done either way!! ( advice on the what this needs to look like )

I'll post the test results once I get them. Pool is apparently clear at the moment.

It's the unfortunate truth, and we see it time and time again. People that you would presume to know all things essential about the pool chemistry, really don't.

That realization is staggering at times, but it's true about builders, service people, and stores. Not all, but very many of them. Organizations, that are supposedly "recognized authorities" are doggedly tenacious about decades old beliefs, and practices that are absolutely not true, or not successful for a host of reasons. What we teach is really for the homeowner, and finding a commercial outfit to practice it to the "tee" is near impossible simply because it is not profitable. So, you have to get as close to that as you can with your situation. Combined with the SWG, and hopefully this new company, you can reach a successful balance that will keep your pool nice for the occupants and relieve you of some worry. Wish you the best of luck with that, and do let us know how it turns out.

It sounds like you know what you're doing and that's the most important thing. Until you get pool side with the test kit be careful about using the pool store for the CYA. It's easy to get too much and then you have to drain water to lower.

It's frustrating to read about pool "professionals" that don't know what they are doing. Once you understand the basics, it is easy to maintain the pool yourself. Obviously your situation is different being that you are not on site most of the time.

I would keep searching for a pool pro that understands what you are looking for. Might have to go through a few of them. Also, a SWG and a good test kit will keep you in better shape a majority of the time. Can't depend on renters to dump liquid chlorine, and you found out the hard way that you don't want people loading up pucks long term.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I want to move to Florida, maybe you can rent to me! lol

When it's time to move we'll probably be looking for a rental until we decide exactly where we want to live. ("Orlando area" is huge, who knows where we'll end up!)

Looks like you've got a perfect house for me. A house with a pool with a "birdcage".

Ahhh, in my dreams.

Agree with all, pool professionals? 'Not very' in my opinion.

Anyway here is my latest;

Finally got the pool store test results ( for what they are worth).

They make for some depressing reading, although I'm at the stage now where they don't surprise me anymore. ( only 13 days to go)

FC =0
TC =0
Ph =7.8
TA =100
CH =160
CYA =0

Rang the caretaker and found the water sample had sat in the bottle for a couple of days, so asked him to take a fresh sample, wasn't sure how that would skew the results or not.

Fresh results, not much better,

FC =1
TC =1
Ph =7.8
TA =110
CH =150
CYA =0

Don't believe the CYA as we have been using tabs for two weeks, so would have expected some reading all be it small?(Still can't believe no one has put stabilizer in the pool since the refill)

Put the figures in to 'POOL MATH' (tfp method) and this is my synopsis;

Add 1 gal chlorine, figured with zero CYA the FC of 1 would probably be zero by now, and potentially we have people using the pool also which will lower it even more.
Add 1 gal liquid stabilizer ( to see how this reads, don't want to overshoot), I realise this is dearer but works quicker and I have guests at the house so couldn't do the 'sock method' anyway.

Decided not to add the 13 oz of Muriatic acid at this stage, PH may come down with addition of CYA, correct?

Should I add the 12 lbs of Calcium chloride (seems a bit cheaper) or 16 lbs Calcium chloride dihydrate now, any advantage of the dihydrate? ( probably add 8lbs Cc not to overshoot in case of test results aren't accurate) Wasn't sure about putting too many chemicals in all at once?

Will adjust all when I have some proper results.
Am I on the right track??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.