KC4life15!

May 10, 2022
OP, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Made the mistake of listening to my local pool company and added NO FOS (1lb-https://lesliespool.com/leslies-nophos-phosphate-remover-2l-bottle/13145.html?src=WKND2336&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=%7B19640562374%7D_%7B%7D_%7B%7D&utm_term=%7B13145%7D&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNXsUiOaWF94COnu6xHke1wxHtevy2Nq5xueoRJOMyUMuq9JXihZM5xoC1UQQAvD_BwE) directly into skimmer as directed. That was 3 weeks ago and I’m still needing to clean my filter daily to keep my PSI south of 25, water slowly getting clearer but still cloudy. I switched to a cartridge filter system and everytime I hose it out it’s white milky water. White sediment (no doubt from that useless Crud posted above) just keeps settling at the bottom, I brush toward the main drain and then filter PSI goes up. I rinse filter and then repeat. Again, we have been at this for 3 week’s-unbelievable. Contemplating having the local pool store provide me a new filter, not sure what good it would do with all of the white sediment floating at the bottom.

Water was perfectly clear prior to their suggestion- they stated my CYA was low.

Any suggestion on what to do? Is it worth filling trash can with TSP and 5 parts water to let it soak? Or will that not matter with white Crud settling at bottom of my pool? Pool duster won’t even pick it up- just seems to keep recirculating.

Thanks

Last edited:
All you can do is keep the cycle going of filtering the water and cleaning your filter until the water clears.

What size cartridge filter do you have?

Made the mistake of listening to my local pool company and added NO FOS (1lb-https://lesliespool.com/leslies-nophos-phosphate-remover-2l-bottle/13145.html?src=WKND2336&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=%7B19640562374%7D_%7B%7D_%7B%7D&utm_term=%7B13145%7D&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNXsUiOaWF94COnu6xHke1wxHtevy2Nq5xueoRJOMyUMuq9JXihZM5xoC1UQQAvD_BwE) directly into skimmer as directed. That was 3 weeks ago and I’m still needing to clean my filter daily to keep my PSI south of 25, water slowly getting clearer but still cloudy. I switched to a cartridge filter system and everytime I hose it out it’s white milky water. White sediment (no doubt from that useless Crud posted above) just keeps settling at the bottom, I brush toward the main drain and then filter PSI goes up. I rinse filter and then repeat. Again, we have been at this for 3 week’s-unbelievable. Contemplating having the local pool store provide me a new filter, not sure what good it would do with all of the white sediment floating at the bottom.

Water was perfectly clear prior to their suggestion- they stated my CYA was low.

Any suggestion on what to do? Is it worth filling trash can with TSP and 5 parts water to let it soak? Or will that not matter with white Crud settling at bottom of my pool? Pool duster won’t even pick it up- just seems to keep recirculating.

Thanks
Is there white sediment in the pool? Vacuum that to waste if possible.

Update on this, was not "No Fos" that caused this. IT was a product called "Leslie's - Instant Pool Water Conditioner Plus, 1 Gallon". I poured the entire contents of the bottle directly into the skimmer and the Crud wont's dissolve and has clogged my system as described above. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what did you do to fix it?

IT was a product called "Leslie's - Instant Pool Water Conditioner Plus, 1 Gallon".
That's a quick dissolving form of CYA (monosodium cyanurate monohydrate). I bet it will work itself out of the filter in some time. Let's ask @Donldson for thoughts

Why the about face on no-phos ? Was it added also ?

Liquid CYA would not cause cloudy water.

You said you added no-phos to the pool. Who have you talked to that convinced you that it was not the culprit (despite being a common problem with phosphate removers) and that instead it was liquid CYA (rarely if ever the cause of cloudy water)?

Reactions: Newdude
Liquid CYA would not cause cloudy water.

You said you added no-phos to the pool. Who have you talked to that convinced you that it was not the culprit (despite being a common problem with phosphate removers) and that instead it was liquid CYA (rarely if ever the cause of cloudy water)?
The pool conditioner is white and milky yogurt like substance. The water washout everytime I clean the filter is the exact same white milky substance. I believe the no phos is brown- no brown in the pool at all- I don’t think I ever purchased this or added it to the pool- got my chemicals mixed up I had the pool store confirm what I bought. The sediment on the bottom of the pool is also white- same as the white conditioner. I believe the water turned cloudy because the conditioner clogged the filter and it sat for a day or so before I realized zero water was flowing. Now I feel like the water is chemically balanced(all test and chemical levels back this up), but the white sediment on the bottom of the pool continues to recirculate and clouds the pool as I brush it toward the main drain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool conditioner is white and milky yogurt like substance. The water washout everytime I clean the filter is the exact same white milky substance. I believe the no phos is brown- no brown in the pool at all- I don’t think I ever purchased this or added it to the pool- got my chemicals mixed up I had the pool store confirm what I bought. The sediment on the bottom of the pool is also white- same as the white conditioner. I believe the water turned cloudy because the conditioner clogged the filter and it sat for a day or so before I realized zero water was flowing. Now I feel like the water is chemically balanced(all test and chemical levels back this up), but the white sediment on the bottom of the pool continues to recirculate and clouds the pool as I brush it toward the main drain
I am totally perplexed as to why it’s not dissolving. What is the substance if it isn’t the milky water coming from the filter when I spray it down or the white substance in the bottom of the pool. Can’t be a coincidence

I am totally perplexed as to why it’s not dissolving. What is the substance if it isn’t the milky water coming from the filter when I spray it down or the white substance in the bottom of the pool. Can’t be a coincidence
It because that’s not pure stabilizer. It’s only 30% pure and contains some other junk like enzymes. Not sure what to do about it now except keep cleaning the filter until it’s gone.

Then stay out of Leslie’s from now on. You can get all the stuff you need from the hardware store for much cheaper and they won’t try and sell you junk that messes up the water. 😉

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.