Pool cloudy after adding liquid chlorine

You may want to post test results to help people understand the water's chemistry. Other than LC have you added anything else recently? And it was pool chlorine and not bleach with possible additives?

Reactions: Mdragger88
You may want to post test results to help people understand the water's chemistry. Other than LC have you added anything else recently? And it was pool chlorine and not bleach with possible additives?
FC -5
PH- 7.5
CH- 450
TA- 90
CYA- 30 (I have an autocover so keep this lower than recommended)
Liquid pool chlorine only 10% strength.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
FC -5
PH- 7.5
CH- 450
TA- 90
CYA- 30 (I have an autocover so keep this lower than recommended)
Liquid pool chlorine only 10% strength.
I have nothing to add since the numbers seem fine but hopefully more knowledgeable people will come along!

I switched away from Chlorox Bleach (with additives) last year, and now I am using Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid, sold at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.. Now, I've had the same cloudiness issue lately, with similar test results.

What are you using for Chlorine?

now I am using Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid, sold at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.. Now, I've had the same cloudiness issue lately, with similar test results.

What are you using for Chlorine?
I just picked up 3 gallons from Walmart, I bought it because people had a good experience with it. I'll have to keep an eye on it as I add it - do you have a date code on it? The ones I picked up was 2023 181 - so June 30th.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see you have a SWCG. My IC-40, when on 60% or higher tends to turn the pool cloudy when producing the CL gas. My granddaughter was using her swim mask underwater and commented on it LOL...it's very noticiable fstanding outside the pool...from the side wall returns (3) and the floor return at the deep end coming straight up until the gas diffuses in the water.

I just picked up 3 gallons from Walmart, I bought it because people had a good experience with it. I'll have to keep an eye on it as I add it - do you have a date code on it? The ones I picked up was 2023 181 - so June 30th.
Yesterday I picked up 6 from Lowes, and the date code is 2023 182.

I started a SLAM yesterday, so we shall see if things improve.

chlorine clears pools and does not cause cloudiness. The cloudiness can be a reaction to something else in the pool but chlorine (without additives) is not the issue.

Your CH is a bit high. It is possible that adding the chlorine temporarily raises the pH just enough to cause some of the calcium to precipitate out. If that was the cause, it'll be gone in 24-48 hours most always

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.