May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys, I need a sanity check.

Pool was closed on Friday and prior to that, I used a small sump pump to drain it down below the returns. I went to turn the pump on to filter using just the main drain so I could have some water movement to add the chemicals but the pump wouldn't prime and pull water. I was able to do this last year with our old pump but this year we put in a new VS pump. I'm afraid the pump is somehow damaged but I'm also wondering if it's inability to prime had to do with water level being so low and that the pump couldn't get water up through just the main drain? I guess I'll know for sure in the spring when the water level is back up but just curious if anyone has thoughts on this?

Yes. I moved the valve to main drain only. The water was well below the skimmer box at this point. But I did not have the pump set to the highest speed when I was trying to do this. It was just on override which I know is not set at max power.

A main drain alone may not have enough capacity to prime or may be very slow to prime.

How long did you wait to prime before you shut it down?

What pump are we discussing?

My 3 HP VS pump was capable of holding prime well below where it *would* prime. I decided to drain further a several times after shutting it off and it wouldn't prime again. (Over several seasons, not in a row) It might have worked had I let it run longer but I always made the call that it wasn't worth trying if it didn't prime quickly.

Drop the submersible in the deep end (in a 5 gal bucket to help protect the liner) and toss the hose in the shallow end to circulate at this point. Brush well if you want even more peace of mind.

It's a V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor that we replaced on our pump May 2022 (not last year).

I didn't wait that long - it was probably no more than 30-45 seconds but felt like forever. I tried it twice but I'm so afraid to let the pump run too long without water moving through it. maybe I didn't want long enough but I'm so afraid of burning it out.

I had the robot running so that helped with circulation and I just crazy at that water with my brush like a giant mixer to get the chlorine stirred around!

Reactions: Newdude
I checked with InYoPools and my warranty expires 11/27/23. I'm wondering if I just submit the photos they want for a replacement claim instead of risking it come Spring when I'm out of warranty. The hubs would have to take it apart to get the pictures of the wiring but oh well.

It's a V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor that we replaced on our pump May 2022 (not last year).

That tells me what the motor is but not what pump the motor is bolted to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry about that, my confusion! I had to take pictures of the pump itself because there are no labels or anything. I assume by the H its a Hayward but that's all I know.

Attachments

• IMG-3682.jpg
    IMG-3682.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-3683.jpg
    IMG-3683.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-3684.jpg
    IMG-3684.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-3685.jpg
    IMG-3685.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 3
I checked with InYoPools and my warranty expires 11/27/23. I'm wondering if I just submit the photos they want for a replacement claim instead of risking it come Spring when I'm out of warranty. The hubs would have to take it apart to get the pictures of the wiring but oh well.
The pump is fine if it was only running for a few minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.