Pool cleaner gummy cord?

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So My pool cleaner has developed a very gummy film on the outside of the cord. Its a maytronics...
Its been gradually getting worse... I presume its the chlorine breaking down the rubber, but is there any way to clean this off? its incredibly frustrating.

Thank you much :)

So My pool cleaner has developed a very gummy film on the outside of the cord. Its a maytronics...
Its been gradually getting worse... I presume its the chlorine breaking down the rubber, but is there any way to clean this off? its incredibly frustrating.

Thank you much :)
Mine is kind of the same way when I leave it in the water for a long time. I figure it’s best to remove it when not in use.

Its like it gets waterlogged.
My solution is to coil the cord up on the deck, usually daily. The bot stays in the pool but 95% of the cord is coiled/looped neatly on the deck until it runs again.

You treat yours much better than I do. I leave it in the pool unless I'm cleaning the filters usually.
I've read too many horror stories on robots failing. After spending over $800 for it, I want it to last as long as possible. So, I don't mind the extra time it takes to clean it up.

Lots of discussions lol, unfortunately no real fixes... so the cord is already gritty and gummy... Short of replacing it does anyone know how to actually clean it? Its just insanely sticky and gummy... Still cleans fine, but its less than ideal :)

Lots of discussions lol, unfortunately no real fixes... so the cord is already gritty and gummy... Short of replacing it does anyone know how to actually clean it? Its just insanely sticky and gummy... Still cleans fine, but its less than ideal :)
When I leave it on the deck to dry out it gets much less gummy - still chalky from uv exposure/age.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s not dirty, it’s degrading. Anything you clean off the cord will make it thinner. Best to keep it out of the water and see if it gets less gummy.

Reactions: KJB1 and Mdragger88
Albert (kids’ given name to our warrior SE) has been sitting in the pool for 3 years, 24/7. Only take it out when closed for winter. Cord has a slight “tackiness” to it, but works perfectly and doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: mknauss
The Maytronics cords are very robust (sadly can’t say the same about their motor assemblies 🙄). What your experiencing is the hydrolysis of the rubber coating, basically de-vulcanization. If you had a very precise oven, you could try to revulcanize the rubber by heating up to 100-120°F (that’s what we can a normal sunny morning here in southern AZ) but that may be more trouble than it’s worth. You could let it dry out completely in the sun (or use a hair dryer on low heat) and then mechanically scrape off the top most layer of rubber …. but it’s just going to keep happening. Not much you can do about it.

Cords cost about $100 for the non-swivel versions. They are easy to replace. It might be a consideration if the tackiness gets to be too much of an issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The Maytronics cords are very robust (sadly can’t say the same about their motor assemblies 🙄). What your experiencing is the hydrolysis of the rubber coating, basically de-vulcanization. If you had a very precise oven, you could try to revulcanize the rubber by heating up to 100-120°F (that’s what we can a normal sunny morning here in southern AZ) but that may be more trouble than it’s worth. You could let it dry out completely in the sun (or use a hair dryer on low heat) and then mechanically scrape off the top most layer of rubber …. but it’s just going to keep happening. Not much you can do about it.

Cords cost about $100 for the non-swivel versions. They are easy to replace. It might be a consideration if the tackiness gets to be too much of an issue.
This must mostly be what happens to mine when laid out on the hot brown deck in the sun. Here’s how mine lives after it’s daily run. The portion of the cord that stays in the pool is noticeably gummy whereas the rest returns to non gummy after it’s tanning session.
IMG_6707.jpeg

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.