Pool Builders assigned Pool Guy showed up - Almost rang his neck!

Levels are a little better this AM after the MA dump yesterday afternoon.

FC is still high at 20 (Remember he said the shock wears off after an hour or so...)
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 275 (hoping what precipitated out ended up in the filter)
CYA of 60 (I get readings of 60-70 most days but as I am new I am trying to set my limit for "the black dot is not visible")
CSI is now -0.43

Will run the deck jets today and try to see if that helps off gas or whatever some chlorine and also raise PH just a tad.

Water temps are dropping in my area as we are having cooler nights my temp is now down near 72/73.

Thanks again everyone for your help and support!

If I were you, I would target a pH of around 7.6 or so. I know you're recovering from the chemical bomb that moron technician put in your pool but letting the pH rise to 7.6 and keeping it there will raise your CSI a bit and it should be fairly stable and hold at 7.6-7.8 for a while.

You can backwash your filter to remove any calcium precipitation that might have occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levels are a little better this AM after the MA dump yesterday afternoon.

FC is still high at 20 (Remember he said the shock wears off after an hour or so...)
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 275 (hoping what precipitated out ended up in the filter)
CYA of 60 (I get readings of 60-70 most days but as I am new I am trying to set my limit for "the black dot is not visible")
CSI is now -0.43

Thanks again everyone for your help and support!

well, to the pool boy's defense (I know, I'm laughing), for a non TFP maintained pool where there is algae present, the shock would wear off in a day or two. since you have an algae free pool, its gonna take some time for it to drift down. if you really want to get your FC down without waiting, adding hydrogen peroxide will neutralize it

Guys, you need to return to the real world..... if you can only check/tend a pool once a week (as most pool services must do, financially).... the "chemical bomb" approach is about all that is available.

TFP is about the application of knowledge and science in a consistent and timely manner. Pool services are all about "convenience," not terribly consistent levels of sanitizer or water balance. It is a matter of focus.

PS
Yeah, I get the sanitizer thing, one must ALWAYS maintain a level of 1-2 PPM of chlorine... unless it is called "shock," then a gazillion PPM is OK.... somehow, the pool gods give you a pass on that....

I am not sure why they are called a pool guy to begin with, all they are out to do it throw in a chlorine puck from time to time. When i moved to my new house, the previous owners had a pool guy paid off till the end of July. All they did, was come in and throw in a puck or two. My CYA was 130, when i started getting the hang of technical stuff. Now its, 70.! :)

Man, I would have probably lost it. I would have my whole family out there so that guy could explain why they would not be swimming for awhile LOL.

Glad to see your patience prevailed.

Dom

Pool guy was a no show this week - I guess even when their voicemail box is full they somehow get the message thru the Pool builder grapevine that they are not welcome to return. Pool cover was installed the same day as the Pool Guy event and I think that slowed the removal of chlorine from the water - its been 6 days and reduced from where it was to 7.5 with the kids swimming daily. Two boys can make a huge amount of splash out and we have dropped maybe 2-3 inches and refilled with city water so that seems to have adjusted the CYA some too. Still getting a handle on CYA levels - really wish that was more objective than subjective (A cloud overhead can adjust m readings by 10 or so.
Todays water:
78 F
FC 7.5
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 50
CC .5

Also Pool Builder was to come by and set up the actuators and finish the final items (I won't release their last check till its done, not just promised to be done) - surprise nobody called or showed up...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still getting a handle on CYA levels - really wish that was more objective than subjective (A cloud overhead can adjust m readings by 10 or so.

FYI, I find that the only way I can get a consistent CYA measurement is with a flashlight (a bright 4-AAA LED one) held against the side of the tube angled down to point at the dot. I know this isn't the recommended way, but I could never get the sun right (and I often procrastinate my testing until it's dark :), and with the flashlight I can get consistent results including the CYA standard solution measuring at 50ppm.

The nice thing about the test is that you can pour it back and forth, trying different lighting etc to see what works. But I too wish there were a drop-count-color-change test for CYA!

Yep I have the standard solution - CYA tests are not really a solved problem in my POV, would like something much more exact even though the Taylor site makes it seem cut and dry it really is not and since the FC goal is based on a widely divergent subjective measurement it kinda bums me out.

And if you are the only one to perform the test and try to do it in consistent environmental conditions, then any errors or biases should always trend in the same direction. Unfortunately, it's the best test you can get short of some very expensive analytical lab equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.