Pool Build (San Diego) - POOL FILLED PICS 8/31

In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - Pictures Added 8/14

Shotcrete update:
1) We have been watering the pool during the day every few hours to keep it wet - I even setup our sprinklers to "mist" the pool and have run that a few times a day as well for 10 minutes at a time.
2) Some shrinkage cracks on one wall below a bench appeared within a few hours of the shotcrete finish. Those cracks started to grow and extend down the cove into the shallow end which started to concern me. (Longest crack was maybe 4-5 feet in length)
3) The PB looked at them and said they appeared to be normal shrinkage cracks but brought out the shotcrete company to do a close inspection of their own.
4) The shotcrete company verified in their opinion they were just surface shrinkage cracks and wrote us a letter confirming their warranty (10 years) of the shell. They also offered to send out a repair guy to chip out the surface portion and put a quickcrete mix in all the cracks. We agreed that would make us happy and they did the work the following morning.
5) The repair guy said it appeared that the weight of the bench in that location was causing a little extra stress and the cracks were appearing due to shrinkage in that location because of the extra weight compared to other areas in the pool.
6) We now have NO cracks visible in the shell as far as I can tell. We are going to continue watering till at least day 7.
7) We appreciate that our PB took our concerns seriously even though he may have felt we were being overcautious. We are happy with the outcome of this phase of the project.

WP_20130811_003.jpg
Crack Image 1

WP_20130811_004.jpg
Crack Image 2

WP_20130814_005.jpg
Repair Image 1

WP_20130814_006.jpg
Repair Image 2

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - Pictures Added 8/14

Sounds like you have a good pool builder! It's your pool, you have to be happy with it and the sign of good customer service is understanding that.
Glad they got it resolved for you.

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - Pictures Added 8/14

cbink said:
Sounds like you have a good pool builder! It's your pool, you have to be happy with it and the sign of good customer service is understanding that.
Glad they got it resolved for you.

Yes I agree. They could have blown it off, but I like the response to the concern. Good on them.

Stone / Coping - Pictures Added 8/16

Stone and coping work has begun. We went with a quartzite stone (Chocolate Charcoal from RCP) due to the inherent hardness of the stone which we hope will hold up really well with the salt water system.
They haven't applied the grout yet - just the initial mortar to attach to the raised bond beam.

I'm enclosing two pictures - wet and dry and I REALLY like the wet look better. The stone guy was saying they don't usually seal the quartzite because it is so hard it doesn't need it but I am really leaning towards using an enhancer sealer to bring out the "wet" look all the time. The research I have done so far seems to be that people like the Dupont StoneTech Salt Water Sealer but that this sealer doesn't really have the "enhanced/wet" look when applied.

Any thoughts or recommendations? We will have to figure out the sealer pretty quickly as they want to do the plastering right away once the stone work is complete (about a week) and Dupont recommends a full 72 hours to cure.
WP_20130816_001.jpg
Dry Stone

WP_20130816_002.jpg
Wet Stone

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - PICTURES ADDED 8/16

Equipment has arrived (still waiting on one more Whisperflo 2HP 2 speed pump for the waterfall) - now the PB can start having some fun hooking up all that plumbing!

Clever%20Camera8_19_2013%2011_59_14%20AM_jpg.jpg
(DE filter, Whisperflo 2hp and Intelliflo VS pump not shown)

Re: In Progress Pool Build (San Diego) - PICTURES ADDED 8/20

@cbink Here you go! It feels like the stonework is proceeding at a snails pace. This is probably because our guys only show up for 2-3 hours a day then go home! (ARGGGG - best pirate imitation) Our PB is starting to crack the whip as this is the last major hurdle (other than inspection) that might prevent us from finishing on time. I am happy with the work... just would be nice if they actually made more progress each day.

WP_20130817_019.jpg

WP_20130819_018.jpg

WP_20130819_019.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Pool Build (San Diego) - STONEWORK PICTURES ADDED 8/20

It's beautiful!
We had the same issue with our plumbing - seemed to only work a few hours a day and it was driving me mad. The stacked stone guys worked a full day yesterday so I'm hoping that will continue as we have a fair amount of stacked stone!

I can't get over your view - It's stunning and the pool makes full use of it. I imagine sitting on those bar stools enjoying a cold beverage of your choice is going to be an amazingly relaxing experience!

cbink said:
How's it progressing? Have you had any further thoughts on the grouting of the stonework that you mentioned on my thread?

Entire story with photos to come soon... I was out at clients all day yesterday so didn't have a chance to focus on much pool stuff. The basic issue was:

1) We saw a specific stone + installed look at RCP
2) The stone was installed using a different method at our project (not necessarily right / wrong but different) - it was a surprise as we didn't end up with exactly what we had pictured
3) PB took all responsibility for not presenting to us (via his stone masons) the varied installation options - they should have asked and presented pros/cons before proceeding
4) He was willing to do WHATEVER we thought was appropriate to make it right. I cannot tell you how grateful we are for our contractor as I feel many other PB's could have and would have handled our concerns with their best interests in mind and not ours. He said its our pool and he wants to make sure that we enjoy our investment for the lifetime of the pool with NO regrets.

I'll try to follow up with the conclusion on this round of fun later today!

So my work has taken a toll this last week and we have had some fitful progress -- a few issues with an inspection and it seems we are somewhat back on track.
The decision was made to do SOME grout on the stacked stone as the PB and stone masons recommended not leaving it as ungrouted (the method we saw at the supply house) as they said with the water it would deteriorate faster.

Clever%20Camera8_23_2013%204_03_52%20PM_jpg.jpg

WP_20130826_006.jpg

WP_20130823_006.jpg

We decided to go with 511 Impregnator Sealer and our current schedule looks as follows:

1) Today -
* Inspection / Failed. Need to do a little more work on the waterfall before he will approve us moving forward. He also has issues with our lack of "deck" on one side of the pool. We explained that we are doing artificial turf which seems to alleviate his concern about dirt entering the pool.
* Stonescapes Beach Entry Plaster - Sand Color
2) Wednesday
* Waterfall work and reinspection.
* Pool Equipment connection to Screen Logic Interface inside house
* Stone Acid Wash and Seal (areas around / inside pool)
* Stonescapes Pebble Finish - Midnight Blue - Interior of Pool and Spa
3) Thursday
* Equipment Programming (Intellitouch)
* Trimout of Waterfall (?)
* Acid Wash of Pebble Finish and begin water fill
4) Friday / Following week - wrap up of all stonework not along pool area

We will see if schedule is kept -- PB appears to be doing everything in his power to keep us on track for swimming this weekend. <Fingers Crossed>

Re: Pool Build (San Diego) - STONEWORK PICTURES ADDED 8/27

Looking great. Looks like a good call on the barstools, it's hard to judge from a picture but it looks like they'll be at a more comfortable height now.

Good luck for swimming this weekend! We're hoping for next weekend but we'll see how it goes.

Re: Pool Build (San Diego) - BEACH ENTRY PICTURES ADDED 8/27

Here are the photos at the end of the day of the beach entry... the plaster guys were complaining about the irregular stone but the finish look I think is worth their hard efforts.
Tomorrow we turn this pool BLUE!

Clever%20Camera8_27_2013%206_51_28%20PM_jpg.jpg

Clever%20Camera8_27_2013%206_54_09%20PM_jpg.jpg

Re: Pool Build (San Diego) - STONEWORK PICTURES ADDED 8/27

cbink said:
Looking great. Looks like a good call on the barstools, it's hard to judge from a picture but it looks like they'll be at a more comfortable height now.

Good luck for swimming this weekend! We're hoping for next weekend but we'll see how it goes.

Yes the barstools definitely needed to be higher. We stacked some stone on one of them to get a good gauge on how much higher they needed to go. I think they are all good now. Best of luck for next weekend! It's going to be a really tight race to the finish for us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.