Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Today was the final push before plaster. We cleaned all the tile and sealed all stone near pool. I also acid washed the Pavers. On a whim, I purchased and installed a 25 point fiber optic Star Floor light kit on the entry steps at the sun shelf which should be cool.

Lastly, we poured cement in the sunken patio grill area and I also found some fantastic stainless steel cabinets on Craigslist (which normally run a couple grand each) for under $200. These will give me a really nice fully enclosed stainless steel storage area and should last forever.

Lastly I stopped by the Habitat for humanity Restore near me and found a brand new Elkay stainless steel sink for $80 which normally runs $400. I'll post pictures tomorrow

I had to purchase about 480 worth of diamond polishing pads and the acid, but the final hits on the pocket are an afterthought at this point.

You installed a light on a whim? Wow! Did you tie into existing electrical on the shelf?

So looking forward to the pics of the plaster and a filled pool! Good luck tomorrow!

Okay friends, here are the first pictures of today's plastering.

One thing I noticed immediately following the application of the Hydrazzo finish is that the pool looks much larger than before plaster. The combination of the colors of the stone, tile and coping go very well in my eye with the interior finish.

Since we are using Hydrazzo we have one more day for this phase, during which the interior finish is acid washed to expose some of the quartz and then polished to a very smooth yet non-slip surface.

The final interior color should be a bit darker than the initial pre-wash color.

Let me know your thoughts; we can't wait to finally "fill-er-up" tomorrow. :party:

Attachments

• photoplaster.JPG
    photoplaster.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 453

Thanks Frogabog; it was a struggle but I was able to add the fiber optic floor lights on the entry steps. The plaster team (Gabriel's Plaster) were top-notch, one of the best teams in SoCal which work for Kerber, a well known plaster company. They did give me a little ribbing however for trying to install the lights on the same morning of the plaster application. Got em in; let's hope they are as cool as the appear.

I wanted to post a picture of the submerged bar stools.

For months, I did not know what to put on the top of the bar stools, concerned that if I used glass there could be a couple of sore behinds in the future if the glass tile broke. Also to get the tile to follow the radius would have taken forever and required alot of cuts, adding to the risk. On the other hand, if I just went with the plaster the bar stools would look pretty bland and unattractive.

Well anyway, yesterday I was walking at our local Lowe's, when viola!, I saw a 12" decorative stone medallion made out of marble, granite and travertine pieces; I wanted some color but nothing gharish and this seemed to fit the bill.

I ended up buying five of these medallions for about $12 each and attached them to the tops of the bar stools with Spectrlock epoxy based thinset I picked up at the Restore. To me, the bar stools came out much better than I had anticipated. Once grouted and cleaned they came alive and now the bar stools have some decoration that ties them in well with the stone columns.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again TFP !

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 433

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here is a picture of the fiberstar floor star fixtures installed under the plaster which will be trimmed flush with the floor. They were a pain to install but should look spectacular at night, adding both novelty and visible safety markers to the entry steps.

I am also posting a picture of the sunken patio where the grill, icemaker, sink and other will be. I will be building the frame with concrete block and then add ledgestone like we did with the columns. The stainless steel cabinets I bought on Craigslist will be fitted in the frame and will provide sealed storage.

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 440
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 438
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 437

Dude I am so jealous!

That is going to look fantastic!

Can you link to the fiber lights website?

A huge concern of mine for you now is that work will slow down considerably once the pool has water in it! I know mine will! Who can work your arse off in this heat with a cool inviting pool a few feet away, oops! I fell in.

:party: :party: :cheers:

spillmar said:
Plastering just started!!! Color looks great.

Thanks Carl - the lights were fiber optic. I guess it was sort of a whim as I did add a conduit beforehand to the sun shelf in case I decided to add the star floor lights.

Haha that's great planning ahead. Nice of the guys to work with you rather than against you. Well maybe not nice so much as professional and customer oriented - so hard to find these days. Hopefully someone else here uses them based on your recommendation.

WOO HOO... :party: :whoot: :party: :whoot:

Great update man!! Been waiting to see whas happening out there. That plaster is looking great and I LOVE the color. It is going to be truly spectacular, and I bet the kids are fit to be tied. I know I would be, and I bet they are in way before it gets filled. Nice find on the stool seats, but I must say how much I love the step markers too. You better brush up on your photo skills for some good night shots. Wow man...looking good, and I am another super jealous spectator. If I lived nearby, I'm afraid I would beg to come over and take a closeup look. Really excited for you, and keep us posted. :cheers:

Are you kidding mann, it looks beautiful. The wife is jealous keep the pics coming :cheers: :cheers:

Today is the second day of the plaster process. The plasterer will be acid washing and polishing the Hydrazzo so the aggregate will be exposed yet smooth to the touch. I am told it looks like marble and can be as hard as such.

I will begin to fill in a couple hours. Should be filled in a few days due to the size of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.