Pool bottom thickness

sparkee6971

Apr 13, 2024
Edmonton
I Am imstalling a pool kit for an inground pool, the steel wall are 42 " tall and this allows a 2 " Pool bottom for a final 40 inch liner.
The problem is my concrete guy says to go 4 " thick, so I either have to dig 2 inches out or set walls on a 2 " stone all so I get tension on the liner.
I think its bad to set walls amd then try to dig more out beside the walld , i think raising walls ( steel) is easier and better...can anyone that knows from expeirience the best path?

Welcome to TFP.

No one around here right now has that construction experience to advise you.

Not a pro, but I've learned plenty. I had the opposite problem - excavator left 6" to fill. We had to bring it up 4" with gravel, then mortar for 2".

Mortar really shouldn't be any thicker than 2", so if he was going 4", one would hope he is planning 2" of concrete and then when that's dry, 2" of mortar. But I'm guessing that wasn't his plan! 2" of mortar is fine - really, it's the norm from what I've researched. Keep in mind that the floor really isn't structural in a vinyl liner pool - some inground pools are built just with a sand bottom. My guess is he doesn't have pool experience as 4" is pretty standard for shed floor, deck, etc. but that's concrete.