Pool base issues (pool is slightly too big)

blackimage

Aug 9, 2023
Nor Cal
Hi all,

I have an intex pool that I planned to put on the lowest level of a terraced yard. I stalked this pool for months but it wasn't until AFTER I ordered it that intex updated the website with dimensions that included the frame. Well, the pool is too darn wide for the only area we have available (outside of taking over our main entertaining patio). We allotted an extra foot but the frame is 1ft9 inches too wide. The length is fine.

This area of the yard is supported by a recently built retaining wall made of pressure treated wood. The pool's support feet will stick out about 7 inches over the existing 2.5 foot high retaining wall. I'm wondering if anybody has suggestions on quick fixes for a way to support the feet for that extra bit that doesn't involve rebuilding the retaining wall. We'll do that next year but if we try to do it this year it might mean we only get a couple weeks in the pool. We've been pondering this since late July :( I've got some landscapers coming to price out extended the wall but it was just built - seems bonkers and feels like there could be something else we can do given we only need to support 4 footings for an area of 15 x 7~. We thought of using new castle garden blocks + rebar and filling them in to create pillars but you're not supposed to stack them that high. Thought of putting a layer of two sheets maple plywood under the pool so that 7 inches overhang the retaining wall but that seems like it will fail. Thought of sticking some gabions under the plywood but not sure how that would hold up in a quake ( we live near a fault line).

I would just return it for a smaller pool but the pool will be used 90% of the Time by adults and the smaller sizes are only 30" deep, we need at least 42 (intex also updated their website with info that the water height would be closer to 36 LOL).

Any ideas or do we have to bite the bullet and pay to extend the retaining wall? Hoping to source the collective wisdom of this group even it is bad news - the worst thing in the world would be a failure while people are in the pool. Not on my watch.

Thank you!

Tip toeing in to say.................extend the wall. I thought and thought but any idea I came up with would not work any better than your ideas and none of them are safe :( It is not just the legs that need the support. The bottom of the pool liner also needs supported. Those pools move when people get to playing hard. I have a sad for you wallet and swim time.

Reactions: blackimage
The only safe way I can think of is to extend the wall. You are talking about thousands of gallons of water - not something you want collapsing, especially with anyone in or near it.

Reactions: blackimage
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.