tfd949

Jul 3, 2023
Maine
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After looking into many different pool automation programs for the RPi. (myhydropi,Raspipool,nodejs,etc) we need help trying to install ONE to work.

We had myhydropi working for years but now with the updated RPi software and everything we cant get it to work.

We tried Raspipool and can not figure out what we are doing wrong with the install to make it work on
Home Assistant 2023.6.3
Supervisor 2023.06.4
Operating System 10.3
Frontend 20230608.0 - latest

Can anyone help us get this up and running.

We have a RPi 3, with a 4 channel power relay, 3 onewire temp sensors, 2 atlas scientific sensors (ph and orp), single stage pump (in one relay), and lights (in another relay)

we would like to incorporate it all into HA if possible.

Thanks

Matt

However, if you remain sold on RaspiPool, let's see if we can possibly find you some assistance.
Calling @segalion or @jonpcar
Can y'all possibly assist the OP here with their RaspiPool setup?
Sorry tfd…no help from me on RaspiPool. I watched, but didn’t implement any of Segalion’s system. I notice on his GitHub that he is inactive and probably busy with new things in life. I’m with @MyAZPool, go for nodeJS. You should be able to transfer all your components to that supported system.

Reactions: MyAZPool
@tfd949
@jonpcar is right.
nodejs-poolController will support your equipment and njspC can be integrated into Home Assistant.

According to the GitHub njspC HA page, "This allows everything smart home related to be controlled from a central platform and provide additional local automation for a swimming pool. After setup, it is possible to create notifications, view historical data/graphs, or even connect to voice services like Google or Alexa within Home Assistant."

https://github.com/tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController/wiki/Home-Assistant-Setup-Instructions

I hope this is helpful to you.
r.
p.s. I see you are new here on TFP. So just wanted to say WELCOME!! :wave:

Last edited:
Sorry for the late Reply to everyone. After talking to the others that will be involved in this process, we are going to go with nodejs to run everything for our pool.

What we would like to know is what issues are we going to be running into (if any), and is the wiki and all instructions fairly well descriptive, do we need the rs485 adapter with everything built into the Pi?

Thanks

Sorry for the late Reply to everyone. After talking to the others that will be involved in this process, we are going to go with nodejs to run everything for our pool.

What we would like to know is what issues are we going to be running into (if any), and is the wiki and all instructions fairly well descriptive, do we need the rs485 adapter with everything built into the Pi?

Thanks
@tfd949
Personally, I've had really good luck with the RS-485 adapters mentioned below. No problems after 4+ years.

USB to RS485 Adapter: This is a necessary item when using the nodejs-poolController-dashPanel. A USB to RS485 adapter is necessary since there is a requirement for a physical connection between your Raspberry Pi and the RS485 bus of the IntelliCenter, IntelliTouch or EasyTouch.

Here again, there are several different options that are acceptable. I have used all of the following adapters without any issues and will comment on each one below.

GearMo Mini USB to RS485 / RS422 Converter FTDI CHIP with Screw Terminals and Windows 10 Support $24.00
Comments: This was my first adapter. Super easy setup and good documentation. The connection and activity lights are adequate and handy to have. However, it is very large compared to the other two which I own and which could present a problem if using multiple USB adapters with your RPi. It’s also fairly “pricey” in comparison to the others that I have used.
1689427014620.png

USB to RS485 Converter Adapter 3.3V 5V FTDI CHIP with Screw Terminals and Windows MacOS Linux Support $12.00
Comments: I like this one as well. No documentation but that doesn’t matter since it’s illustrated adequately on its Amazon page. I will also provide the connection/pin-out instructions below.
2020-09-10_17-00-41.jpg

Note: The “white” (clear) model allows for very bright connection and activity lights. This might be preferable for some, especially if mounting or placing the RPi outside. I use this adapter inside and it does not particularly bother me, but when my office lights are turned off at night, the blinking green activity light is VERY bright and flashing constantly as it communicates on the IntelliCenter RS485 bus.

As far as "Tips or Tricks"... Don't get in a hurry or skip steps. Just take your time.
The link below is a great resource.
https://github.com/tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController/wiki

If you run into any issues or have questions, you can get some great help here.
https://github.com/tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController/discussions

Good Luck!
r.

Last edited:
@tfd949
Personally, I've had really good luck with the RS-485 adapters mentioned below. No problems after 4+ years.

D. USB to RS485 Adapter: This is a necessary item when using the nodejs-poolController-dashPanel. A USB to RS485 adapter is necessary since there is a requirement for a physical connection between your Raspberry Pi and the RS485 bus of the IntelliCenter, IntelliTouch or EasyTouch.

Here again, there are several different options that are acceptable. I have used all of the following adapters without any issues and will comment on each one below.

GearMo Mini USB to RS485 / RS422 Converter FTDI CHIP with Screw Terminals and Windows 10 Support $24.00
Comments: This was my first adapter. Super easy setup and good documentation. The connection and activity lights are adequate and handy to have. However, it is very large compared to the other two which I own and which could present a problem if using multiple USB adapters with your RPi. It’s also fairly “pricey” in comparison to the others that I have used.
View attachment 513786

USB to RS485 Converter Adapter 3.3V 5V FTDI CHIP with Screw Terminals and Windows MacOS Linux Support $12.00
Comments: I like this one as well. No documentation but that doesn’t matter since it’s illustrated adequately on its Amazon page. I will also provide the connection/pin-out instructions below.
2020-09-10_17-00-41.jpg

Note: The “white” (clear) model allows for very bright connection and activity lights. This might be preferable for some, especially if mounting or placing the RPi outside. I use this adapter inside and it does not particularly bother me, but when my office lights are turned off at night, the blinking green activity light is VERY bright and flashing constantly as it communicates on the IntelliCenter RS485 bus.

As far as "Tips or Tricks"... Don't get in a hurry or skip steps. Just take your time.
The link below is a great resource.
https://github.com/tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController/wiki

If you run into any issues or have questions, you can get some great help here.

Good Luck!
r.
We don’t have an intellicenter at all everything that we have is physically connected to the Pi on the GPIO pins so just to make sure we DONT need it?

We don’t have an intellicenter at all everything that we have is physically connected to the Pi on the GPIO pins so just to make sure we DONT need it?
Ah, that's right... Sorry about that. Still a bit early here out in the west. LOL

Since I don't have that type of setup and I really don't know who does here off the top of my head. AND I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction...
If I were you, I would provide the relevant information as well as your questions at the link below.
You will find great help there regarding the setup of njspC for those NOT using an automation panel.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got everything up and running this past weekend. The only thing missing is getting the T3 with 2 sensors to talk. Will work on that this weekend. Also we will be having to replace a one wire temp sensor. What is everyone using for an adaptor to put the one wire temp sensor into the sensor block. To measure the water temp of the pool. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.