Pool automation reliablity in 2023? Seeking advice on upgrading the system.

atxdatta

Nov 4, 2023
Austin, TX
I am about to undertake to upgrade my pool setup, replastering, etc, and am looking for first-hand feedback on pool automation reliability in 2023. Assuming that price is not the barrier ( I will DIY likely, am handy and will be able to save on labour costs), would you recommending pool automation in 2023? What does the most reliable pool automation look like?

I have decided that I will be getting a SWG, used to have one, miss it. Unsure about Ph / chemestry mgmt. Already have timers in place. The pool is not the easiest one to manage; it is lower than pool equipment, surrounded by trees, and an odd shaped pool design; As I am getting older, it is getting harder to keep it up; Service options where I live are not very reliable, most of the techs appear to know less than I do :(. Can Automation come to rescue? I think just SWG will make a huge difference, but before I started, I would like to request input on what else I should consider.

Welcome to TFP! It helps if we know the pool equipment you currently have or will be getting to provide recommendations. In most cases you want automation control to be with all of same equipment manufacture. Variable speed pump, heater and SWG can all communicate best with the same brands.

Reliability? I have Pentair and it’s reliable for what I use it for. I am sure the same for Jandy and/or Hayward equipment. Others can chime in and give you more comments so just hang out a bit.

TX,

The main key to automation is to use one brand of equipment, for any VS pump, the SWCG, and the Automation. The brand of the filter does not matter, except for color... :mrgreen:

I am a very biased SWCG, kind of guy... I think having a saltwater pool is the only way to go.

Chemical automation is not something I recommend. Once you have a SWCG, not much else needs to be done.

I rank equipment in this order... Pentair, Jandy, Hayward.. I'm sure other members might see things differently... :)

None of the three major brands will provide more than 60 days of warranty if the equipment is self-installed. I did not let that stand in my way when I installed IntelliFlo VS pumps, EasyTouch Automation Systems, and IC40 salt cells on two rent house pools.. Not a single failure in the past 10 years.

Another key about automation is understanding what the automation can and cannot do...

Tell us what you expect your automation system to do for you.. Automation or not, you will still have to routinely test and use those test results to adjust your pools water balance.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have Jandy automation, it has been reliable (installed when our pool was built in 1996, upgraded to iAqualink in 2021).

I find the main advantage of automation is being able to switch between pool and spa modes + control the heater remotely (for instance, switch to spa mode and start the heater while I'm out running errands and have the spa heated and ready to enjoy when I arrive home).

Other than this functionality, I wouldn't say that automation makes the pool any easier to maintain. Having a SWG and properly set up pool cleaner have been the keys to making my pool (mostly) trouble-free. Additionally, separate from my Jandy automation, I have my pool filled via one of my sprinkler system zones, which is very convenient.

If I didn't have a heater or spa I'd probably skip automation, mainly to save $. Would just run a timed program on the variable speed pump + have the saltwater generator and pool cleaner booster pump on standalone timers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thanks Y'all for such warm reception.

I currently have pentair equpiment - pump & filter. Also have a polaris 280 setup; Spa is non functional as it is far from equipment and I dont have natural gas hookups. Using old school intermatics to turn on pool & polaris pump.

What I would like to automate in order of priority:
1) Chlorine - SWG is a must have at this point for me. I am done with liquid & tabs.
2) what chemisty read outs - Chlorine would be great, Ph etc would nice to have.
3) Ph automation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.