Pool Advice - Newbie

So after reading other forms and information I am convinced that my issue was I was using low quality bleach (come on Clorox!) as I couldn't get the Chlorine level high enough and Algae started forming. So much for using the pool this weekend ;).

So SLAMing it is!

Before SLAM:

Free Chlorine: 0.77
Total Chlorine: 0.99
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 105
Calcium Hardness: 98
CYA: 35 (Goal of 40)

After my adding my chlorine to shock level, I did another test and now found my test kit doesn't go higher than 10 for Free and Total Chlorine, so much for my expensive test kit :(. Results about 45min after SLAM

Free Chlorine: Higher than 10 (unit cannot read higher)
Total Chlorine: Higher than 10 (unit cannot read higher)
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 66
Calcium Hardness: 130
CYA: 39 (Goal of 40)

I know I need to lower my pH, ~below 7.3.

Am I completely out of luck if my unit doesn't measure higher Chlorine levels? Or is there anything I can guestimate at? If not, would anyone know where online I can purchase a better test kit (I live in Canada)?

Also, do I need to worry about other parameters during the SLAM:
- Total Alkalinity
- Calcium Hardness

As always, thank you for the help!

You can dilute your sample 50-50 with chlorine-free (bottled) water and double the result. You lose some accuracy, but it's the only way to use that ColorQ. And until things are cleared, all you care about is FC and TC.

So in your case, the SLAM is done when
The difference between TC and FC is 0.5 or less;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Thanks for the advise Richard. I did a test first thing this morning with that method:

Free Chlorine: 17.84 (8.92 in diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 19.3 (9.75 in diluted sample)

Now I'm thinking I could have been wrong with the algae... I will test again in half an hour and see what numbers I get.

Thanks poolnoob.ca I am headed there today will pick some up, site shows they have 2 left =).

Two results for today;

Sat morning 8:15am
Free Chlorine: 8.92 diluted sample (17.84)
Total Chlorine TCL: 9.75 diluted sample (19.3)

Sat morning 9:15am
Free Chlorine: 8.79 diluted sample (17.58)
Total Chlorine TCL: 9.35 diluted sample (18.7)

I was thinking if I had algae the FC would drop quicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing the Overnight FC Loss Test tonight. One thing that I am getting confusing on. My FC levels have been at SHOCK level all day but my CC will not go away.

My tester doesn't go higher than 10 for FC so I am diluting it by half. So results can be a bit off but I imagine the value of FC and TC should be off by the same amount. My last test tonight shows:

Free Chlorine: 8.94 diluted sample
Total Chlorine TCL: 9.43 diluted sample
pH: 7.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool is clearing up slowly as I can now start to see the bottom. I'll keep at this. Is there a reason the CC isn't getting lower or going away?

Okay so I have been SLAMing for 3 days now. The pool is definitely clearing up. Can easily see the bottom now. But the color is a tinge blue. So tonight I am doing the overnight test.

One odd thing, and this maybe due to me having to dilute the samples. I did one test before and after adding chlorine tonight and the result show an increase in CC. I'm not making much sense of that:

Mon 9:30pm
Free Chlorine: 7.46 diluted sample
Total Chlorine TCL: 7.80 diluted sample
Added Liquid Chlorine

Mon 10:30pm
Free Chlorine: 8.78 diluted sample
Total Chlorine TCL: 9.42 diluted sample

Is the diluting causing an issue or am I doing something completely wrong? Or should just not worry about that big the overnight test runs good, should I let my FC drop down?

Thanks

Thanks so much for all the help! The pool is all cleared up, CC level is at 0.36, and overnight TC loss test had a loss of 0.30.

Going to let the FC drop down now and finally have the kids enjoy the pool! Very exciting. Thanks again. [emoji1]

Definitely need to get a better test kit for the future.

Yeah I've been down there almost everyday. Their shipment never comes in lol. I've gotten a raincheque though [emoji106]. For now I'm using the Purex, only one they had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.