Pool actuators reverse during heating

ztk777

Oct 7, 2023
Florida
Hello,
I have a pool with spa. For some reason when pool heating is turned on, then switched to spa heating and while spa timer is used the water flow is reversed where normal pool circulation is now in spa and when spa timer is on its back to pool circulation. It happened one time and somehow fixed it self over night but not second time. What could be the cause and how to prevent this?
Do actuators reverse operation if they get spa timer and spa heating together that conflict?

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have an automation system? Can you tell us what that is?
What are you calling 'spa timer'? Is that different than normal spa operation?

I have a diy type improvement. Basically I have a pool heater and wanted to instal wifi controller so an electrician changed the board and added wifi thermostat that basically controls it now. It typically does work as it suppose to do - heats spa and pool. Somehow when zip timer is used along with the heating spa or pool, the actuators reverse. By reverse I mean this: normally they are circulating water when heater is off but when it reverses in the off the spa jets are on. (Calling electrician is last resort as he was already out and by that time the system reset somehow and it wasn’t reversing).

I'm sure it is just me, but I don't fully understand what you are saying... :scratch:

If you are in the Pool mode, heating or not, the water should be sucked from the pool and then sent back to both the pool and the spa spilling over into the pool.

If you are in the Spa mode, heating or not, the water should be sucked from the Spa drain and all of it sent back to the Spa jets, with no spillover.

Please tell me how your system is working.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm sure it is just me, but I don't fully understand what you are saying... :scratch:

If you are in the Pool mode, heating or not, the water should be sucked from the pool and then sent back to both the pool and the spa spilling over into the pool.

If you are in the Spa mode, heating or not, the water should be sucked from the Spa drain and all of it sent back to the Spa jets, with no spillover.

Please tell me how your system is working.

Thanks,

Jim R.
What you are saying is correct - this is how it should be working. When I turn pool heating on, it heats the pool, then when I switch to spa heating, the valves switch to spa mode. This works.
Another way for the spa to heat is when I turn the pool heating on and guests use zip timer the valves move to spa mode and spa is heated (even thought in the system it says pool heating). So it seems that during this time I used the app to switch to spa mode and that seemed to reverse the valves where now it would switch to heating pool (when spa heating is on and zip timer off)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.