Gold Supporter
Sep 28, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am getting ready to close my pool and the water is still a little above 60.

I have two gallons of "Aquamate" algaecide that says "5% Algaecide" and has 5% n-Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. TFP recommends PolyQuat 60, but I was wondering if I could just use this stuff instead. PolyQuat 60 seems to be hard to come by in this area right now, and I need to close the pool this week no matter what.

I've seen posts here where people consider the algaecide an option, but I did use PolyQuat 60 last year and opened to a nice clear pool, so I'd opt for using at least SOME kind of algaecide. Do I need to get some PolyQuat or will this stuff do the trick? The label says to add 1 gal for 20k gal pool at closing. This stuff has been around for about 2yrs in my basement. Should I double the dose and just dump both gallons in there?

Thanks!

I have two gallons of "Aquamate" algaecide that says "5% Algaecide" and has 5% n-Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

No, I would not use it. That is adding a form of ammonia to your water which will consume your chlorine and CYA.

If you don't have PQ60 then raise your FC close to SLAM FC level for your CYA and close your pool.

Reactions: JohnGn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.