Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Of course, during my 10 days home between 20 day trips to Iraq for work my Polaris pump decides that RIGHT before I have to go back is a good time to finally die. I've been expecting it as it has sounded like an angry velociraptor for the past 3 years (kind of surprised at how long it ran sounding like that, to be honest). The thing was crazy old- about the only piece of equipment I haven't replaced so I am just getting a new pump and not going to try to fix this one. Maybe I'll work on it offline and have a backup, but that's for another day.

I've read around and it looks like getting a PB460 over the newer and more pushed by Polaris PB4SQ would be the recommendation here? Is that still the case, or have they improved the SQ to anyone's knowledge? I like that it's smaller and would fit better on my tight equipment pad, but the PB460 is the same size as what I have currently so it's not a requirement.

Depends if you can get a PB4SQ with the reinforced case.

Read Polaris Pool Cleaners - Further Reading
Interesting- Thanks for the input. I don't see it specified anywhere whether the case is reinforced or not. Right now, I'm leaning that I'm just going to get the PB460. One online retailer specifies that the PB4SQ does NOT have ANY warranty if you buy it online and install it yourself, which I'm not very OK with. But I can't really justify buying it locally for almost $700 and pay someone another $200 to spend 15 minutes installing it.

Unless I could somehow guarantee I was getting the revised, improved version of the PB4SQ, I would just go with the basic PB4-60. It's an easy replacement. I bought my replacement from In The Swim via Amazon because, at least at the time, they were far less than Leslies or PAP wanted locally.

Generally anything beyond very, very basic replacement parts is not covered by Fluidra's warranty because.. Fluidra.

Reactions: 1poolman1
I ordered the PB460 for MUCH less than what local stores were asking and it was delivered a few days later, as I was arriving in sunny (and dusty, smoky, polluted, etc...) Basra, Iraq. 7 more days and I'll be headed back home to install it and see how many leaves I collected. Asked the fam to please be diligent about skimming and getting leaves out, but.... Not hopeful on that.

I ordered the PB460 for MUCH less than what local stores were asking and it was delivered a few days later, as I was arriving in sunny (and dusty, smoky, polluted, etc...) Basra, Iraq. 7 more days and I'll be headed back home to install it and see how many leaves I collected. Asked the fam to please be diligent about skimming and getting leaves out, but.... Not hopeful on that.
Got it done, and only have one rant about the task:

Is it too much to ask that motor manufacturers provide sufficient space to route the wiring needed without cursing prolifically? I mean, make the motor housing 10 mm longer- That couldn't possibly hurt your profit margins, knowing that the housing is not high quality steel. I'm asking for empty space- and that costs nothing, people. :mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.