Chesapeake/ VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have just replaced the idler wheel and the 3 rubber tires on the larger wheels. Everything engages and it will run for a bit, then the wheels stop turning. If I pick it up and manually turn the wheels, the wheels will start turning again. It was moving before the changes, but the back wheel wasn’t engaging so the cleaner would not move well throughout the whole pool. Any thoughts before I tear it apart?

Did you replace the wheel bearings?

Polaris sells a full rebuild kit that replaces all the moving parts.

Any friction in the moving parts is enough to stall the wheels. The water power has no torque to overcome any friction.

I have just replaced the idler wheel and the 3 rubber tires on the larger wheels. Everything engages and it will run for a bit, then the wheels stop turning. If I pick it up and manually turn the wheels, the wheels will start turning again. It was moving before the changes, but the back wheel wasn’t engaging so the cleaner would not move well throughout the whole pool. Any thoughts before I tear it apart?
Check the internal gears on the front and side wheels. They wear out. If one if very worn, use the rear wheel to swap. Also, the shaft that drives them can wear out as well.
The teeth of the shaft should only engage the teeth on the wheels by about half their length. Any tighter and the cleaner will bind. You can adjust the wheels back and forward by removing the top and loosening the two screws at each wheel axel. Just loosen, don't remove the screws.
Its the same with the back wheel. You want to loosen the axel screws, push the idler wheel down, move the back wheel forward so that it touches the idler, and tighten the screws.
You will have to remove the feed hose, bag, mast float (it just pulls off). You can leave the sweep tail on. When putting the mast float back on, leave a finger's width between it and the tube that holds the bag. Don't lose the screw that holds the top in place.