Polaris 280 Connector Thread Stuck in Wall

Jz31171

Dec 24, 2023
San Antonio
Hello and Merry Christmas. Of course on Christmas Eve, my wall connector coupling for the Polaris 280 cracked at the connection to the wall. And after I unscrewed it to check what was going on, I made the boneheaded decision to try to screw it bad on. Well, that didn’t end well. The threading got off line and now it is synched into the wall receiving thread. It is below the water line. I have tried pliers and vice grip to gently take it out but it is locked in there.
My question: any expert recommendations on how to unlock this PVC coupling thread lock? It really seems like my only option is to lower the water level (not fun or cheap) and then cut away at the old coupling connection which will take hours and lots of patience. Is there any tool out there to help get this off?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9860.jpeg
    IMG_9860.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to TFP.

I think you will need to cut it out using a hacksaw blade on the inside cutting into the plastic without hitting the underlying threads and then cracking sections out until it all comes out.

Lets see if @1poolman1 has any suggestions.

Welcome to TFP.

I think you will need to cut it out using a hacksaw blade on the inside cutting into the plastic without hitting the underlying threads and then cracking sections out until it all comes out.

Lets see if @1poolman1 has any suggestions.
Thank you. That was my estimate….looks like I’ll be in some cold water because I’m too cheap to drain it. I’ll give it a shot below water level and see what happens before I drain below. Thanks.

Thank you. That was my estimate….looks like I’ll be in some cold water because I’m too cheap to drain it. I’ll give it a shot below water level and see what happens before I drain below. Thanks.
You can do it from the deck with just a hacksaw blade. Its better to have the teeth face outward and cut on the pull instead of the push. You don't bend the blade that way.
Its OK if you get into the threads that are the wall a bit. If it leaks a bit it will just leak into the pool. There is more than enough water from a booster pump that any small amount of leak won't hurt anything. Generally, you will see the pressure-relief on the wall fitting open and let out more water than any small leak would cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.