Plumbing Question, Rigid PVC, Union Fitting

Nov 22, 2014
Bartow FL
Awhile back CJadamec posted a comment which applies to me:
Flexible pipe makes adapting to odd angles and offset equipment easy it saves time and doesn't require pipe fitting skill to line up fittings and joints.

Cleanly fitting and making rigid pipe look good takes time and skill. Both of which are costly.

I have been using Rigid PVC, and things progressed fairly smoothly. However, I have now run into a question for the experts. It is just a short run, from the pump to the filter, and I put a union in there to make things easy to disconnect if ever needed. However, and I can't understand what has happened, the pipes line up, but are off by a slight angle.
20220611_142358.jpg20220611_142448.jpg
I thought maybe the filter wasn't level, but it looks level to me. I've not heard of anybody having to shim a pool filter on a concrete pad. The other run from the pump to the union also looks level to me, I don't know how much can go wrong with one 90° bend, however apparently something somewhere has.
So does it rise to good enough, tighten everything up and be happy? Or is it a disaster of epic proportions? Do I go back and substitute a short run of PVC Schedule 40 Flex there to the union?
Help from the experts is appreciated.

Last edited:
Lift up slightly on the pipe not attached to the pump to align and tighten the nut. Try to tilt the pump a bit. Either way should work. You'd be surprised at how much "play" there is in most pool plumbing.
DO NOT try to have the nut align the union, it will split. It may take two people. Pads move with the roots of whatever is around and this happens.

Lift up slightly on the pipe not attached to the pump to align and tighten the nut. Try to tilt the pump a bit. Either way should work. You'd be surprised at how much "play" there is in most pool plumbing.
DO NOT try to have the nut align the union, it will split. It may take two people. Pads move with the roots of whatever is around and this happens.
OK, I will also double-check on the level of the pad, it has been there for many years. I think the pump is also on the pad, but I'll have to double-check that. Thanks.

As an update, I did move the filter that slight bit closer to the pump. It did seem to improve the vertical misalignment some, but showed the horizontal misalignment, which I'm assuming is significant enough that I need to redo that little section. Supposedly I'm getting better, but I just hope Lowe's doesn't run out of PVC pipe before I get it right. Also, one additional problem is that it is a special fitting for the pump, two come in a box, and I don't think I can salvage this one to redo the line, as I already tried before and used a union, trying to get the correct height.
20220612_094351.jpg20220612_094357.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a bit more information. I did measure if each section was level, and the side from the pump is not, by a small but noticeable amount. I've looked if it is possible to shim the sand filter, but so far haven't found any information.
20220612_102504.jpg20220612_102522.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you show the entire system?
Here is the wider view. I guess if the filter was further from the pump the PVC would have that bit more room to flex, but then that will destroy my return run to the pool. Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but at the moment the filter is brand new, and empty, so it is possible to move or shim.
As additional information, the pad is level, and the lower return line, coming out from the filter is at the same slight downward angle. Which is confusing to me because I don't understand why I seemed to be able to attach that line without major problems. But OK, thinking a bit further, there was a huge run of PVC to take up the slight difference, but there is only the short run to the pump on the top run.
20220612_113056.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: summerwin
And, a further update, the filter, shimmed, and everything goes together perfectly. The unions for the upper and lower lines thread together without resistance at all. The line coming out of the filter is level too. I just used some junky brass washers I had, so I don't think this will work on a permanent basis. The total amount raised is about 0.225", so IMHO fairly significant. I still don't really understand what has happened, I can't believe the base is off, the pad seems to be level, and both lines out of the filter are level now that the filter is shimmed.
.20220612_115907.jpg20220612_115854.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.