Plumbing Plan Review for IG 18x36

Pohouse

Nov 30, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
DIY renovation IG 18x36. First time pool owner. Been researching for months. Started our project in April, weekends and evenings. Awesome info on this site and I have really been educated. We built a vinyl over bench (ICF) and corner steps in the shallow end, added dual main drain, repoured the hopper and extended the shallow end 3', new vermic bottom. This is a family project. Nothing like mixing 2 pallets of 60lb premix bags to build character in my 2 teenage girls. One thing they learned real quick, you can't mix and pour concrete with a phone in your hand. They initially complained, but now they tell all their friends what they did. They are looking forward to the next phase of work. Skimmer/line is being replaced and I'm adding one return. It's an extensive renovation that doubles as family time.
I have drawn up a basic plumbing plan that I would like your observations on. I am planning on implementing all the suggestions, such as pipe length before the pump, use unions before and after components. Sweep 90's instead of street, schedule 40 for all, etc. The purpose of the diagram is to confirm I have all the parts and pieces in the right places. Pad is about a foot below water level, about 15' from pool. Water will be bonded at the skimmer. Did not include zinc anode, I have no metal that needs to be protected. I do want a heater bypass, as I may install the heater next year. Existing slide is 3/4 flex pvc. Fountain will be new install with 1.5 rigid.
2 questions
Do I need a pressure relief valve after the heater and before the CV?
I'm thinking of doing 2" at the pad, even though all underground is 1.5 rigid. I would start the 2" from the 3way into the pump. Transition back to 1.5 at the first return 3 way. I'm doing this more for consistency and ease of plumbing, rather than efficiency or GPMs. Are there any obvious issues I will run into going 2" at the pad?
Thanks for your observations!

Attachments

• Bench install.jpeg
    Bench install.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Pool plumbing 2.jpg
    Pool plumbing 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Pool plumbing.jpg
    Pool plumbing.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
Do I need a pressure relief valve after the heater and before the CV?

No. What makes you think you do?

I'm thinking of doing 2" at the pad, even though all underground is 1.5 rigid. I would start the 2" from the 3way into the pump. Transition back to 1.5 at the first return 3 way. I'm doing this more for consistency and ease of plumbing, rather than efficiency or GPMs. Are there any obvious issues I will run into going 2" at the pad?

Do 2" on all your equipment pad plumbing as described.

Other comments...
  • I would do a second skimmer if you can
  • Do a larger filter 400 or so
  • No automation?
  • How will you control the power to your RJ45 to only be powered when your pump is running?
  • Get the Superflo VST that has a RS-485 data port for future control
  • You are going to have widely variable flow needs with your slide and sheer descents. Check what the maximum flow rate is for your HP and you probably ant an automatic flow bypass to keep your HP flow within spec.
  • Without automation you are going to need to adjust pump flow rate whenever you turn sheers or slide on or off
  • Is Fountain connected into poolw ater flow?

Thank you ajw22. Appreciate your comments. Increase of 30% price on everything has affected some decisions.

PRV- We were considering a gas fired heater for awhile so a PRV was a question I had. Going with a heat pump now, so do not need. Brain fart question.

2nd skimmer-really weighed the pros and cons. Concrete deck around the pool I really don't want to disturb. The only reason I'm replacing the current one is that I discovered a crack in the skimmer throat below water line and have no choice.

Cost and space on the pad prevented the 400 sf filter.

Automation is not in the budget. Weighed the cost vs benefits on our simple setup. (Maybe not so simple...read on) Opted to spend the money on VS pump and Cartridge filter.

RJ-45 control. I was planning on a separate timer wired from the pump for double protection. (pump and flow switch) Is there a better way?

RS-485 option. After reading more about this, I would have gone with the VST to maximize future options. I was under the assumption I could automate the Superflo VS in the future, but after doing a deep dive I see the data connection on the VS is limited. This was probably a missed opportunity, but I already have the pump so I'm going to run with it.

Variable flow with slide/fountain. Yes fountain is pool water. We are ok with fountain only running when pool pump is on. We do not have a need to turn it on and off separate from the filtration system. I figured ball valves at both ends would allow us to adjust flow on the slide and fountain. I would like to set the valves at the pad and leave them alone. Kids can operate the valve on the slide to start and turn off when they are done swimming. 3/4 from pad, it's an old slide with 1/4 tubing, I wouldn't think there would be alot of flow impact.

I hadn't thought about the fountain and the variable speed pump combination or the Heat pump flow rate! Without using automation, I may need a 2nd pump. I have the old Hayward 1 hp single speed. But the sheer decents require filtered water and would I need a dedicated suction line? How would that be plumbed into the system? Separate filter? Having the fountain on a separate circuit would eliminate flow issues at the fountain and Heat pump and allow us to simply turn it on and off and/or put it on a timer.
Looking forward to your additional thoughts!!

Separate timer for the RJ-45 is the way to go.

Ball valves never last more then a few years before they stick and the handles break. If you are in to this pool for the long term it is much better to use diverter valves that can be rebuilt as necessary.

For a separate water feature pump you need a dedicated suction port. It needs to be VGBA compliant and can be on the side of the pool. Basically a separate water loop of suction, pump, filter, to water features.

I'll look at switching out the balls to diverters. I'm looking closely at a separate circuit for the water feature. Is T'ing into the main drain line at the pad with a checkvalve, before the diverters and primary pump an option? My main drains are VGBA complaint. Thanks for your help.

Depends how much flow you want to pickoff. A cleaner booster pump picks off water on the return line using a 3/4 HP pump.

Two pumps on one suction line will not work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.