Plumbing Options to Blowout Return Lines

Redstar7t

Nov 7, 2021
Ohio
Hello,

I plan on doing a bit of a plumbing overhaul at some point with a new filter and maybe SWG. When I do this, I want to take care of how to both blowout and add antifreeze to my two return lines for winter closing. Currently it is a giant pain and I feel as if I'm tearing up the plumbing doing it. The plumbing to the return lines is not very good, and there is soft PVC piping with soft clamps that I take off to blowout/add antifreeze:

1670376971870.png

My question is what kind of plumbing do most people have to easily blowout the return lines/add antifreeze?
My current thought is to replace the soft PVC piping with hard PVC and add a cleanout valve to each return line. However I'm not sure if cleanout valves hold well under the pump's pressure (don't leak)?
I'm also thinking of adding a shutoff valve before the return lines

What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks

"Add antifreeze from the skimmer end."
This is the part I don't really understand. Do you mean blow the antifreeze through the pump and filter and into the return lines? I had a pool guy try to do this and when I went to look/suck out the return lines there was pretty much no antifreeze in them. I'm also not a fan of running antifreeze through the pump/filter

This is the part I don't really understand. Do you mean blow the antifreeze through the pump and filter and into the return lines? I had a pool guy try to do this and when I went to look/suck out the return lines there was pretty much no antifreeze in them. I'm also not a fan of running antifreeze through the pump/filter
You have skimmer only and return lines. I too am in Ohio (where are you?) The return lines, I built a PVC, threaded insert to elbow to extension, so that when they are threaded into the returns, they are above the waterline. Drain the pool about 4-6" below the skimmers, get some gizzmos and put them in the skimmers. With both in place, use the pump cover and cyclone and blow the lines out. I add 1/2 gal to each return line elbow extension and gizzmo after blowing out the line. Then I cap.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

I think I understand and I like your 90 degree elbow idea..except problem number two for me, one of the threads on the return lines is completely shot (not sure if they can be prepared? The diameter of the threads are now too large for any connection - I have to use a wingnut plug for that return line). So I wouldn't be able to connect up the elbow to that return

I'm in Columbus

Thanks

I have a love/hate relationship with cleanouts.

Screenshot_20221207-170001_Chrome.jpg

They make adding antifreeze and blowing super easy, but it's another failure point.

I add antifreeze to the horizontal pad pipes and the returns with a funnel. I used to tape a piece of garden hose to it, this year I used a simple bendy funnel. I put a piece of gorilla tape across the bottom half of the opening, stuck the bendy point thingie in and added away.

I like to blow each leg from the pad towards the skimmers/returns. I pop the equipment and go right to the pipes.

Here's my closing thread.

Using a three way jandy valve with a union was my other idea on how to do it. Only problem is that my two return lines are not on the same vertical plane as each other so there would have to be some elbows to get it to work.

Since you are talking about replumbing show us pics of your entire equipment pad and lets discuss the best way to dedo all of the equipment pad pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.