Plumbing help!

Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Hey guys - need TFP to come to rescue one again. My PB just put the plumbing in. All the return heads are 1.5in and they are all on basically a single loop.

They have an initial 2 inch line that is split into 2 1.5in lines.
One of the 1.5in lines feeds 3 returns.
The other feeds 2 returns. Pics below.
PB says this setup exceeds my water needs by 30%…

Contract said all plumbing would be 2in. The suction is in 2 inch.
The main drains come back as 2.5 but look like they are going to be fitting into 2inch lines once up from the bottom on outside of pool.

appreciate some feedback / proof this 2inch T to 1.5 is not okay.

They are putting in a 3hp VSP Pentair pump. I’ve got an aquacal heat pump which I think they say is a constraining factor like 40gpm coming out of this?

Am I wrong to think the max each 1.5 line will receive is the max output of a 2inch / 2 since it’s being split? One of the 1.5 returns has over 65 feet to the final return. How would this return have the same pressure as the first? PB says they loop returns so they all have equal pressure?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 7.53.54 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 7.53.54 PM.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
1.5" returns are the norm and being looped is also the norm. You can have individual runs for each return but that is rare.
A 2" return would be more suitable to a specialize jet in a spa.

Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS has some better suggestions.

Thank you!!
so there is no issue with this setup? I just really don’t like if they are skimping on me either. I read some prior posts about electric gains and less head loss by using a 2inch pipe all the way and just 1.5 connectors at each return.

Otherwise plumbing looks great…

Reactions: Jsraus
Matt,

I have a rent house pool that has all 1.5" plumbing and it has a 3 HP IntelliFlo and it works just fine..

You have nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind that you will have a VS pump.. This means your goal will be to run as slow as you can and still get the job done. Personally, I run 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time, which costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

Relax and enjoy your new pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mattlar0806
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.