Plumbing for New SWCG

odelay101

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2021
New York
With gratitude as always for this amazing community, I am seeking some guidance on plumbing for my new SWCG (CircuPool RJ-45 Plus).

Attached are pictures of the setup I inherited when we bought this house three years ago. Everything is 2 inch PVC other than the final run from my heater outlet to the return valve, which is 1.5 inch PVC. Currently, there is a check valve and a (vestigial) inline chlorinator installed on that run. I would be grateful for some guidance on the following questions:

1. Is there any reason not to replace all of the 1.5 inch with 2 inch when I install the SWCG? I assume this run was downsized to accommodate the chlorinator (Hayward CL 200), but is there any other plausible reason for using 1.5 inch that am I missing that might still apply?
  2. Assuming I want to move to 2 inch, how would I best tackle the junction with the return valve? If I cut the existing pipe right above the lower elbow that has the 2-1.5 bushing in it, I think I would have enough room to install a new elbow, but I would welcome different/better ideas.
  3. I plan to ditch the check valve entirely. TFP consensus seems to be that it's unnecessary between heater and SWCG. (Also, heater is used very infrequently, is unlikely to last too many more seasons, and will not be replaced when it dies.) Again, differing opinions welcomed.
Thank you all so much!

Kevin

Attachments

• Overview of Pad.jpg
    Overview of Pad.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Return Valvle Closeup.jpg
    Return Valvle Closeup.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 28
  • check valve and chlorinator location closeup.jpg
    check valve and chlorinator location closeup.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 26
  • heater feed and return.jpg
    heater feed and return.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 29
For that short of a run of 1.5 pipe...I don't think it would make any difference flow wise. Esthetics is all you'll gain I think. That SWG will come with 2" to 1.5 inch reducers.

Thanks, @woodyp. That's definitely the easiest way forward, so that's great to hear. The SWG does include reducer bushings, so I think I am all set there. Any thoughts on retaining vs. ditching the check valve? I am going to need to cut on the other side of it to install the flow switch regardless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.