Plumbing an AGP

Jun 13, 2007
Houston, TX
We are having a new 18' round AGP installed in a week or so. It is replacing an older (18x36) AGP that was hard-plumbed to the pump/filter. We are planning on using the existing sand filter and two-speed pump.

I plan to hard plumb this new installation, but not immediately as the equipment pad is being moved and the spot is not quite ready. So I want to know if I can temporarily plumb it with hose and clamps. Is that going to be a problem? I am not sure what sort of hose to purchase, to be honest, or where to go to get it. Or what adapters, etc I will need.

If the bottom line shows it would be just as cheap and easy to do a quick hard plumb (without the fancy valves and joints) - well, I am OK with that. Just looking at what my options are as easier would be better for this temporary plumbing.

Simple answer is YES, you can use hose & clamps, this is what most AGP users have. If you just want temporary, then any 1-1/2" hose with corresponding hose barbs would work.
How much time do you anticipate between finishing the pool setup and having the equipment pad ready? If only a couple of days, you could get by without hooking up the equipment at all. Just dose with liquid chlorine and mix by hand with the pool brush or net on the pole.
Cutting and gluing pvc fittings is about as easy as it comes. If you leave yourself enough cut room, then you could just use hard pipe from the start. Cut and move when you're ready. You can install valves & unions right away to make it even easier.

I will say that cutting the trench in the ground is much easier to do before the pool goes in. If you are having electrical trenched, have them cut a trench for your hard pipe also (if possible).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.