NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
First, thank you all for the super useful info on this site. I wish I had discovered this site prior to having my pool built back in 2012, which leads me to these questions. I attaced a diagram of my pool layout. I "think" but not 100% certain is that the bottom drain was run with a 2" flex pvc pipe. All other plumbing was run with 1.5" flex pvc with the exception of the middle left return (it was a plumbed for a polaris pressure vac, but I repurposed it as an extra return. The pad is aprox 20 ft diagonally from the pool. Even though I think the bottom drain was run as 2", coming out of the ground the plumbing is all 1.5" PVC. To add to the cheapness of the PB they put in a 90sq ft cartridge filter.

I recently put in a VSP (SP3400VSP), and to get relatively decent/equal skimming action, I have it running @ about 2450 RPM with bottom drain 20% open, far left skimmer fully open and near left skimmer about 50% open.

Questions:
1. I feel like I should change the above ground plumbing to at least 2". Is it worth doing that? Should I go to 2.5"?
2. I feel relatively comfortable taking care of my parent's DE filter, so am thinking of moving to a 48sq ft DE filter, thinking 60 is overkill given my plumbing situation. Do you agree?
3. Should I try to dig down to where the 1.5 riser connects to the 2" bottom drain and go up with 2"/2.5" from there, or given that I am restricting the flow anyways to get skimming action I should not bother and just connect with the bigger pipe to the 1.5"
4. I may want to go back tho the presure vac in the futuere, would my 2x 1.5" returns be sufficient, or should I forget about the pressure vac and use the extra return?

Any other advice you would give?

thanks for all your help!IMG_1249.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much point in increasing to 2" but leaving an underground section of 1-1/2" to create a restriction. If you want to increase the flow, dig to where they originally reduced from 2" to 1-1/2" and increase the size there.
My .02

Right, that was my original thinking, but if I currently restrict the bottom drain flow to about 20% of the current flow is it worth digging it up? I presume I'd still need to restrict it afterwards as I think the main benefit of upsizing the pad plumbing is to increase flow through the 90s etc.

Reading some more on here, and doing more research it seems a cartridge filter may serve me better with increased flow by eliminating the multiport.

Suggestions on a filter size for my setup? 325/425/525? There is a Amazon Prime deal on 325sqft which places it around $1000, but not sure if I need to go bigger.

Also, do you think I should change the above grade plumbing pre-pump since skimmers are 1 1/2" and I need to partially close the bottom drain for skimmers to work, or just focus on changing the post pump plumbing to 2"?

Thank you all for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.