Plugs and caps

Therapydoc

Apr 29, 2023
Missouri
What is everyone using to cap the ends of the salt chlorinator unions ? I’m left with the female threaded part that I’m trying to find a male plug for but 2” is too small, tried 2.5” and it’s still barely too small. Only thing I can get to maybe work is tape it off and put a fernco 3” cap on the outside of the female threaded Union. Surely someone makes a plug for these chorinators. Also have a zinc anode that’s the same size I need to cap.

Good morning Doc. :wave: To make sure we understand, are you referring to the open gap in your plumbing where the cell used to be once you remove it for winterizing? You're looking for different ideas of how to close those two expensed ends of pipe? If so, I think of 3 things:
1 - Buying/inserting a dummy cell
2 - Using just about any plastic wrap with a tie or rubber band to close the ends
3 - Inserting a winterizing plug into the pipe.

Let us know if you are referring to something else.

Most offer a “dummy” pipe
Kinda expensive for what it is but they have proprietary threads
IMG_7838.jpeg
I just leave mine open
You could also use an expanding rubber plug
IMG_7839.jpeg

When you cell eventually dies and needs replacement keep the dead cell to use as a dummy cell in the winter.

Reactions: Bperry
I use the rubber expansion plug seen above.

20221119_144202.jpg

I put a ziplock sandwich bag over the end and tape the snot out of it because the dogs will surely find the free kong toy and be prancing around the yard all proud of themselves. The baggie keeps the tape from sticking to the pipe and makes removal much easier in the spring.

Good morning Doc. :wave: To make sure we understand, are you referring to the open gap in your plumbing where the cell used to be once you remove it for winterizing? You're looking for different ideas of how to close those two expensed ends of pipe? If so, I think of 3 things:
1 - Buying/inserting a dummy cell
2 - Using just about any plastic wrap with a tie or rubber band to close the ends
3 - Inserting a winterizing plug into the pipe.

Let us know if you are referring to something else.
You’re right. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Trying to get where I can leave oring in place so it doesn’t dry out and I don’t have to find it again next spring haha. I guess I’ll go with my tape and fernco fitting thought to keep it all covered

Reactions: Texas Splash
Trying to get where I can leave oring in place so it doesn’t dry out and I don’t have to find it again next spring haha
My O-rings get lubed and put in a ziplock baggie and stored in a skimmer basket on my workbench with the drain plugs, diving board bolts, return fittings, etc.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.