Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 15
I'm finishing up a contract with a pool company this summer and hoping take care of my pool on my own next summer. I am starting to learn a lot on this forum and I appreciate everyones help! I still have a long way to go. So this may sound like a stupid question, but yesterday, I was cleaning out the skimmer and I noticed a plug in one of the holes at the bottom. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think its supposed to be there? It was likely left by the pool company when they serviced my pool on 8/24. So, I pulled out the plug. I hope this is right?! Anyway, I have 2 questions. First, should the plug be there? And if it shouldnt be there, could any damage have resulted in it being there for so long during normal pool operation? I was having some issues with a red light coming on my intellichlor SWG that was indicating LOW FLOW. Could this be related? Thanks! :)

C,

Most new pools only use one of the two holes in the bottom of the skimmer.

In the old days, the 2nd hole (Closest to the water) was for the main drain, but most new pools have the main drain plumbed back to the equipment pad.

Show us a few pics of your equipment pad. We need to see what pipes are coming into your main pool pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

C,

In the old days, the 2nd hole (Closest to the water) was for the main drain, but most new pools have the main drain plumbed back to the equipment pad.

Show us a few pics of your equipment pad. We need to see what pipes are coming into your main pool pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
IMG_5197.jpegIMG_4994.jpegIMG_4991.jpegIMG_4992.jpegIMG_4993.jpegIMG_4993.jpeg

Thanks. The plug was in the top hole which is near the pool.

C,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Also, I don't ever recall seeing a plug in the bottom of my skimmer and my other skimmer doesnt have one.

Also, I don't ever recall seeing a plug in the bottom of my skimmer and my other skimmer doesnt have one.
If your other skimmer doesn’t have a plug then it would seem this skimmer should have the plug. You should confirm what’s what in case the plug you removed is draining water into the surrounding soil.

C,

One of your inputs to the main pool pump has a "Main Drain" label, so it appears to me that your skimmer, or skimmers, should have the hole next to the water plugged. Often the plug is connected under the skimmer and not in the skimmer..

Use a something to poke into the skimmer holes and see if there is a plug at the bottom. Make sure whatever you use is long enough to not get sucked or dropped into the pipe.

If the Main Drain connection of the skimmer is not plugged anywhere, then water will just drain right into the ground.

I suspect that both of your skimmers are plugged under the skimmer and that the upper plug was installed by mistake. (Just a guess, so you need to make sure.)

Another thing you can do is stick your hand near the two open pipes in the bottom of the skimmer with the pump running.. You should feel a strong suction for the hole that goes to your pump and nothing at the hole closest to the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.