Inverness, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We bought a 12 yo home with a really nice in-ground concrete/plaster? pool. LOTS of questions for my new TFP friends! Starting here...

After mining the sand out, I find there is a PVC threaded plug in the bottom main drain. It appears to be glued, so done on purpose and to stay. There is only one return above ground at the pump so no way to trace it. Any guesses as to the problem they were addressing? I am working to contact the previous owner for the backstory but might have to go forward without this intel. Any chance it's been there from day one and there was never a bottom suction (seems impossible to me)?

My current weekly pool guy has only been there 6 years, so it was before his time. He does not want to pull it out not knowing what's behind it. He assures me we have adequate flow since there are two skimmer returns.

Fun times.

General pics attached.

Attachments

• 20230412_083404.jpg
    20230412_083404.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230412_084554.jpg
    20230412_084554.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 6
Probably due to a leak from the main drain.

Leave it be. Pools run fine without the floor drain.

Thanks for the ideas! Thought I would post an update...

After some Google grinding, I found the original installer. And he called me back! 🤯 He says he's a Florida pioneer in pools. FL rule-makers made a special provision to allow pools without bottom drains. He says they are more trouble than they're worth and not efficient. Not needed. You want water movement, and large skimmers are the best setup. The hole was placed there for depth sensing during installation. The fitting and piping were placed in case ever needed but was plugged from day one.

Wow! Okay. At least it's not a failure and t was on purpose. Thoughts?

You’ll find many pools on this forum running only on skimmers with MD plugged or turned off for some reason. Your pump must be getting enough water through the skimmers, and your swimming/brushing/robot/vacuum/etc will keep water moving around especially if you point your returns down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.