jtrhodes81

May 13, 2022
Philly PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I stuck a rubber plug in the return jet so as not to have to drain so much water on my above ground pool, but it isn't stopping the water. seems the jet piece after unscrewing the collar that holds the ball is pressed in to the fitting. I was thinking of either some type of static cling vinyl cover over the whole area or use an inflatable pipe plug in the hole. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

I stuck a rubber plug in the return jet so as not to have to drain so much water on my above ground pool, but it isn't stopping the water. seems the jet piece after unscrewing the collar that holds the ball is pressed in to the fitting. I was thinking of either some type of static cling vinyl cover over the whole area or use an inflatable pipe plug in the hole. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John
I use a screw in plug in the inside and one on the outside.

I don't think that inner piece is pressed in. Usually it's threaded in and is removeable. If you can look inside, with the collar and eyeball removed, can you see two opposing slots in there? If so, get yourself a 1.5" plastic putty knife (about a buck at the hardware store.) It won't poke a hole in your liner if dropped, since it weighs next to nothing and slowly sinks to the bottom.

Engage the knife into the slots and use it like a screwdriver to remove that last part from your return. Also, I like the screw-in plug with o-ring for that fitting for sealing up the return. Costs around $5-6 bucks and it will not leak. The collar, eyeball and last piece can then be screwed together for safekeeping until next spring.

Hope this helps!

This is what I use: ATIE 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Line Winterizing Plug & Pool Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filters (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/2J5oxZu
If I wanted to use threaded. I would need female threads, a cap. But water seems to leak around that anyway.

If I wanted to use threaded. I would need female threads, a cap. But water seems to leak around that anyway.

If you remove the inner piece, then that plug will fit.

This - Fitting is what you need to remove. All of it. There is an outer ring, the eyeball, and the inner piece - three parts. Remove all three and then the plug listed above will screw right in.

The rubber stoppers have a habit of coming loose. I used to use one because I had a different kind of return (Aqualuminator) where you had to use a plug. If my pool froze down to the level of the plug, the ice would pull it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.