Shtutty

May 25, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys. Hope you can help as I’m new here! I just opened my pool but for some reason the pump is not pushing water through the pipes. All plugs are out. And the pump is turning on. Just not moving the water. I feel like I’m missing a closed valve but I only see 3. Or maybe one of the opened valves is supposed to be closed. Attached are photos. The skimmers aren’t moving water. No clog. And no plug. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 1D270862-6059-4BBA-9224-ACB03693FE6D.jpeg
    1D270862-6059-4BBA-9224-ACB03693FE6D.jpeg
    770.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 4B0BCF88-EB4D-40A8-9EE7-25FDA98D8655.jpeg
    4B0BCF88-EB4D-40A8-9EE7-25FDA98D8655.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20218E4F-16C7-4C21-AADF-F4B5BF666575.jpeg
    20218E4F-16C7-4C21-AADF-F4B5BF666575.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 8C8BE61D-286B-4623-9E6E-64AF0319CF07.jpeg
    8C8BE61D-286B-4623-9E6E-64AF0319CF07.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your valves look like they are in good positions. Did you open the pump pot and pre-prime it full of water before turning on the system? If so, it's possible you still have lots of air in the lines from closing. You might try pulling water from just one line (i.e. one skimmer, or the drain), then go to the others.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your valves look like they are in good positions. Did you open the pump pot and pre-prime it full of water before turning on the system? If so, it's possible you still have lots of air in the lines from closing. You might try pulling water from just one line (i.e. one skimmer, or the drain), then go to the others.
Thanks Texas! Problem is, we just moved here. And I have no idea which line goes where. Unfortunately they never labeled anything :( making is much more difficult. So should I just close 2 valves and leave one open? And so on? The pot has water in it.

Attachments

• 8A608AD8-0DF5-458D-A2A9-5A96645A5FD0.jpeg
    8A608AD8-0DF5-458D-A2A9-5A96645A5FD0.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 17
Start at the front (intake) of the pump and go outwards. The first valve regulates water PULL from probably the drain line (on the left) and 2 skimmers (2 lines to the right). Then that valve on the right adjust which skimmer to pull water from. That's how it looks anyways.

Will I risk breaking the pump by running it without any water running

S,

On the Return side, after the filter and check valve, there is 3 way valve that is set to close off two of the pipes. Since you just moved in and don't know where everything goes, I'd move that valve so that all three pipes are open.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Will I risk breaking the pump by running it without any water running
For too long it can overheat. But pumps can take a good minute or so to prime on their own. Fill the pump basket with water, close the clear lid, and try it. Then repeat a few times if needed. When you open that clear lid, make sure there is an O-ring under that lid. It should also have pool silicone lube on that rubber O-ring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For too long it can overheat. But pumps can take a good minute or so to prime on their own. Fill the pump basket with water, close the clear lid, and try it. Then repeat a few times if needed. When you open that clear lid, make sure there is an O-ring under that lid. It should also have pool silicone lube on that rubber O-ring.
With everything open. No water going through pump. There is just air pushing out of one of the 2 holes in the spa. No other water moving anywhere

Attachments

• DA763BEA-0737-4054-A90A-D3F3C1F42817.jpeg
    DA763BEA-0737-4054-A90A-D3F3C1F42817.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 8
S,

Since you have a check valve in front of the pump, you should be able to pour water into the pump basket until it is full. Close the lid and turn it on. and then tell us what happens.

You have a Pool with a Spa?? Does the spa overflow into the pool when working?

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Since you have a check valve in front of the pump, you should be able to pour water into the pump basket until it is full. Close the lid and turn it on. and then tell us what happens.

You have a Pool with a Spa?? Does the spa overflow into the pool when working?

Thanks,

Jim R.
It’s not a hot spa. It’s just a separate part of the pool but apparently it’s still called a spa. It’s at the same level as the pool, so it doesn’t flow over or anything. I filled the pump basket. When I turn it on, the water in the basket disappears. And then when I turn it back off, the water in the basket fills back to where it was before turning it on

S, one last thing I thought I'd ask as Jim can take it from here ..... since you just opened the pool, can you confirm all plugs (Gizmos) were removed the skimmer(s) and that the waterline is high enough up the skimmer (about halfway)? Basic stuff but good to be sure.

S, one last thing I thought I'd ask as Jim can take it from here ..... since you just opened the pool, can you confirm all plugs (Gizmos) were removed the skimmer(s) and that the waterline is high enough up the skimmer (about halfway)? Basic stuff but good to be sure.
Yes. Thanks. I feel so useless haha the pool is like 5 feet below the pump. So it very well could be that there is air. But, I had the pump on for a while and saw no water going through. Water is midway skimmer line

Reactions: Texas Splash
S,

The pump works off of suction. So, if there is an air leak at the pump lid, it will never be able to get enough vacuum to suck water out of the pool.

I suggest that you look closely at the O-ring (really square) and make sure it is in good shape and that it is lubed with pool lube. Your pump has a weird lid, but you can see how it fits into a grove in the O-ring.

Was the pump removed for the winter and then reinstalled? If so, you want to make sure the unions have O-rings and are tight.

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

The pump works off of suction. So, if there is an air leak at the pump lid, it will never be able to get enough vacuum to suck water out of the pool.

I suggest that you look closely at the O-ring (really square) and make sure it is in good shape and that it is lubed with pool lube. Your pump has a weird lid, but you can see how it fits into a grove in the O-ring.

Was the pump removed for the winter and then reinstalled? If so, you want to make sure the unions have O-rings and are tight.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump was not removed. Here’s the thing. The pool company came to open it a couple days ago. But the water wasn’t at the right level. And now they can’t come back for another week+. They did run the pump and I definitely saw water going through the pump but since they could not use the suction from the skimmers they said they were not able to run it fully and had to come back. But I definitely saw water going through the pipes. Let me check the ring though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.