Please Help w/ Ridding of Fine Sediment

poolboy234

Apr 21, 2022
VA
My pool was uncovered when a contractor sawed retaining wall block nearby, and it blew fine dust/sediment into my pool. It's now flowing through my system and settling on the pool floor beneath each return jet. I'm vacuuming it as I see it, but it keeps coming back. I've tried a filter bag over my skimmer basket and cleaned/replaced the filters, to no avail. My pump is an older Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge based filter. This is very stressful for me and the local pool service provider isn't much help. Any help would be much appreciated! And before anyone suggests it, I'm certain it's not algae. Thanks all!

UPDATE - I can't vacuum to waste as I don't have a waste/multiport valve.

Last edited:
My pool was uncovered when a contractor sawed retaining wall block nearby, and it blew fine dust/sediment into my pool. It's now flowing through my system and settling on the pool floor beneath each return jet. I'm vacuuming it as I see it, but it keeps coming back. I've tried a filter bag over my skimmer basket and cleaned/replaced the filters, to no avail. My pump is an older Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge based filter. This is very stressful for me and the local pool service provider isn't much help. Any help would be much appreciated! And before anyone suggests it, I'm certain it's not algae. Thanks all!
Keep vacuuming to waste, let the dust settle, then repeat. Had the same issue in mine.

Previous threads show a robot cleaner ... do you still have that? If so, use that in conjunction with your vacuuming to slowly remove the sediment. The robot will need the ultra fine pleated filters to remove very fine particulate matter. Unfortunately, it's just going to take time ...

Keep vacuuming to waste, let the dust settle, then repeat. Had the same issue in mine.
By vacuuming, I've been using this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B3SKN4, in conjunction with my Dolphin robot. I don't know how to vacuum "to waste" and haven't done it. I just did a search, but still a bit confused. Do you have a good resource handy for my pump/filter type to vacuum "to waste"? This is my first pool and I'm a rookie. Thank you!

Previous threads show a robot cleaner ... do you still have that? If so, use that in conjunction with your vacuuming to slowly remove the sediment. The robot will need the ultra fine pleated filters to remove very fine particulate matter. Unfortunately, it's just going to take time ...
Yes, still have it, and have been using this also which is easier to hit specific spots - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B3SKN4. Would these be the two ways to vacuum that you'd suggest? My process right now has been to do it every 24 hours to allow enough sediment to collect. I'm just worried I'll be doing this every day for the next several months; I hope not!

Last edited:
By vacuuming, I've been using this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B3SKN4, in conjunction with my Dolphin robot. I don't know how to vacuum "to waste" and haven't done it. I just did a search, but still a bit confused. Do you have a good resource handy for my pump/filter type to vacuum "to waste"? This is my first pool and I'm a rookie. Thank you!
What type of filter do you have? Is it a sand filter? If so you have a multiport valve. With pump off switch that valve to 'waste' start pump and everything you vacuum will go out the same pipe as your backwash does. Bare in mind you don't want to let water get too low so you may have to stop pump for awhile and let water level come back up before continuing. It's time consuming, I'm not gonna lie to ya.

I am having a similar issue with particulate, I have a cartridge filter, so vacuum to waste isn't an option. When the pool was completed, I used a skimmer vacuum with a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to capture the sand/concrete/whatever, it worked pretty well.

My question is, can I do the same with FLOC to remove the particulate now? I am unfamiliar with the procedure (FLOC) so I am just guessing at if this would work or not in removing the "stuff" I am seeing in water now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.