Please Help.. trying to understand what im looking at

Poolswim22

Jan 18, 2024
Martin County Florida
Hello all!
First post. New home owner here learning allll about pools and its functions.
Im having slight issues with our pool light.
During our complete house renovation (before moving in), i noticed that we had a pool light working.
Didnt know if it was on a timer (if thats even a thing without having a big control box) but would noticed that it would be off sometimes when checking on the house.
I dont know if the contractors turned it on/off. I checked every light switched when we finally moved in and nothing is turning this light on.

I did slight research and come across that some lights have a remote control?
I then remembered that there was 4 switches on my wall next to the sliding door (that went out to the pool) and one of the switches was a weird bulky remote thing.
And now i noticed that theres only 3 swtiches on the wall (walls were painted so they removed all switch cover plates)

I am now thinking that the remote switch on the wall was for the pool light and the previous owners added a 4 face opening switch plate and stuck that remote on the 4th opening since its really only 3 switches wired on the wall.

If thats the case, that remote is gone and most likely gone thrown out by the contactors since we mentioned are upgrading all light switches.
What do i do?

I want to buy another light.. and LED light, but is that remote control controlling the light unit itself?? meaning a new light wont turn on with out having that remote?
I dont know where my on and off switch would be.
Do i have to get my J-box (?) rewired and all if that remote is controling the J-box??

i added pictures of what i have going on the side of the house. We converted this pool to saltwater. Middle boxes are pool filter timer and a fuse ?.. looks like one pull out fuse thing. The last box (to the left) i cant open or make out any lettering on the label.
Other picture is the j-box(?)

Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 31

The box on the top left is your low voltage transformer for your lights.

The black box at the bottom with the conduits coming out of the bottom and going into the ground is most likely your J-box connecting your lights to the transformer.

I doubt the pool light is connected to a remote, but who knows.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you had a 120 volt light, you would not have a low voltage transformer..

That said, you need to open the transformer box and run some tests...

There are all kinds of lights, so you can't just go and buy one assuming it will work.

You need to pull the light assembly out and put it on the deck and see what specific light it is... The cord should be long enough to do that.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You, or an electrician, will have to troubleshoot the system...

Step one would be to open the transformer box and see if you have 120 volts on the primary side of the transformer.. If you do, this mean the light should be on.

I suspect that you have no voltage there, so that is why the light is off..

Assuming that you have no voltage on the Primary (input) side of the transformer, then you will have to find what is supposed to send power to the transformer..

As a test, you can connect 120 volts from a wall outlet to the Primary side of the transformer and see if the light comes on.. Keep in mind this is just to see if the light works, you can't leave it this way.

Open the transformer box and show us a couple of pics of what you see.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I couldnt get this open anyother way then pulling the wires out the conduit/sides and removing off the wall (?) so there was a opening panel at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpg
    IMG_3588.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3590.jpg
    IMG_3590.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 12
Is it bad to purchase both LED lights; 12v and 120v and see what works. Or is this a big no no because i dont want to blow anything or break.
Usually, if you purchase and then open an electrical product, especially like a pool light, it is yours forever. If you do get a light and pull the cord from the box, you will never get it coiled back in, in any case.
You need an electrician, or knowledgeable pool tech, to troubleshoot the system to find out what the problem is before throwing money at it.
From the picture, it looks like the light is connected to the 12V tap of the transformer. Those transformers usually will supply 12V, 13V, or 14V to the light circuit, depending on the needs of the light and wiring.

Usually, if you purchase and then open an electrical product, especially like a pool light, it is yours forever. If you do get a light and pull the cord from the box, you will never get it coiled back in, in any case.
You need an electrician, or knowledgeable pool tech, to troubleshoot the system to find out what the problem is before throwing money at it.
From the picture, it looks like the light is connected to the 12V tap of the transformer. Those transformers usually will supply 12V, 13V, or 14V to the light circuit, depending on the needs of the light and wiring.
Reason i ask is because i can purchase both from Amazon with free returns with package opened with no issues. So i was planning on buying both and starting with the 12v. I was just curious if anything will happen to my light and/or to the electrical system if i plug both 12v/120v in my pool light socket to see which would work. If nothing would happen, then i can go ahead and order both starting with 12v to see if it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slight update: i didnt buy a light yet but i did find the pool light switch!! while outside i found a condiut running up from the ground (near the pump area) going into the wall at eye level. Behind that wall was the master bedroom that is facing the pool (sliding doors). From the room that conduit is going to a switch next to the sliding doors that again is facing the pool. i knew this had to be it. Cut the power at the breaker labeled "pool light" and bam! switch has no power. So i found the pool light switch! ordering light soon! ::fingers crossed::

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.