Please help!!! No chlorine presents in the pool

So if I bring my FC back up to SLAM now, when should be the good time for me to test the FC for the OCLT? In the evening? Late at night? And I assume another FC test tomorrow morning?

Well if you raise it now, then it will be a good bit lower by tonight if you do not add more.
You need to test after the sun is down (and 30-60 minutes after you add any chemicals) and before it comes up and hits the pool. Leave the pump on.

Sorry, just one more question - is it safe for swimming during the SLAM process? I know have to wait at least 4 hours after adding chemical but it is safe after that? It's so hard to keep my kids away from swimming in this hot weather.

First, you do not have to wait 4 hours ... 30 minutes with the pump running is plenty. We generally say it is safe to swim with the FC up to SLAM level.

Since you do not seem to really have any water issues. I would keep your FC under SLAM level so you can swim. Then an hour before your evening OCLT test, raise the FC. And then check it in the morning. If you pass, then just let the FC drift down to normal levels.

Pretty much what I've gathered is only 2 things lower the chlorine.
Sunlight and bacteria. Yours went from 24 to 11 that fast due to the bacteria. (probably some sunlight too)
Basically in the beginning of the year you bring your pool to SLAM level until the bacteria stops eating the chlorine. (you know when it does because you don't lose much if any chlorine over night), then maintain the appropriate level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
The higher the CYA (stablizer, from pucks & granular shock), the more chlorine you need.

I bought my house (pool) from my grand mother who only used chlorine when she opened and pucks the rest of the year. I found this site and saved myself thousands. My CYA was 100+ and my walls were stained and scaled. I only did my winter drains and now it's the 3rd year and my CYA is at 45 and I have my chemistry down to a science! Pool looks great too. Nowadays I pretty much refuse to swim in other peoples 'nasty' pools, hehe.

good luck!!

:paddle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.