Please Help Me!!

Its a Hayward filter with gauge recessed in top.
Also, in regards to the pool shock that I was told was 100% sodium hypochlorite is in fact not... Is this ok to use or should I return and go back to bleach? See images:
Album — Postimage.org
You can live without a functional gauge. You'll just have to check your filters by looking at them periodically and rinse them if they look really dirty. I could always tell mine were getting dirty when the flow from my return started looking weak. Order a replacement from Hayward when you can.

The liquid shock you have is the right stuff. It is bleach, just at a higher concentration. 12% sodium hypochlorite is the strongest I've ever been able to buy. Laundry bleach is usually 6.75%, meaning you have to use twice as much of it to raise your FC the same amount. The other 88% is just water, and that's fine. You just don't want anything that contains any other chemical or metals.

Remember when using Pool Math to enter 12% as the concentration of your bleach. Otherwise it'll have you adding too much. Btw, have you calculated the volume of your pool in gallons yet. You'll need that figure for Pool Math too.

Add the chlorine anytime you want, there's no hard and fast rule. Whatever is most convenient and cost effective for you is fine.

Thanks guys! So will any pressure gauge work? If so do any big box stores carry them, such as Home Depot Lowes, or Menards?
Also I asked earlier about backwashing. My filter has 2 settings, one says waste and the other filter. I think it was Jeff that said I may not be able to backwash because most cartridge pumps dont have it. What is the waste for?

Any standard pressure gauge will work, but it might not fit down in the hole in the filter lid. Have a read through this thread.

Fantastic! When it does, refer back to post #2 at the top. We need to know just 4 things for now:. pH, CYA, FC and CC. Everything else can wait until after we get the water clear.

Don't worry, this is really pretty simple. The bottom line is that we have to bring your FC to 40% of whatever your CYA measures at until the water is clear. This is easiest if your CYA is 30 (optimal) - 50. It can be done with CYA up to 80, but over that it takes a lot of chlorine. So if CYA is higher than 80, it's easier to lower it by draining and refilling some of your water.

All the other stuff pool like pump run time, time of day to add chlorine, etc., is mostly just personal preference. Once we start slamming, which is the process of bringing your FC to 40%, you'll want to run the pump 24 x 7 to filter out the dead algae. And as I stated before, the more frequently you can test and add chlorine throughout the day, the faster this will go.

That's all you need to be concerned with for now.

Jeff, my kit DID NOT arrive...It was supposed to be here, and I was ready to rock and roll! Anyways my plan is to start the SLAM process/party on Saturday because I will be free most the day. It is supposed to rain on and off Saturday and Sunday, will that be an issue?

Bummer. Sorry your kit didn’t arrive today. Hopefully tomorrow!

Go ahead with that SLAM when you get your kit. A little rain won’t hurt. Just don’t play around with lightning!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I’m understanding you, your pool isn’t at its normal full level right now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.