Please help me identify my electrical issue before I call in an electrician

There may be codes in place that require you to use the grey conduit for electrical.
There also may be codes stating that you can not run the romex type wire in a conduit.
I am not sure about either of the above ... and thus should probably cease providing advice :D

I do know it is MUCH more difficult to get the wires to turn the sharp white 90 degree corners though.

You should not run romex in conduit. Buy a three strand wire , or have them spin off however much you need from the bulk wire at Lowe's. Use wire lube if needed.

Just picked up all the pvc I need. Decided to use the conduit elbows since they're smaller in person than pictures.

I plan on pulling the wires as I put the PVC together rather than doing the PVC then pull one long runs of wire. Mainy because I have short runs, 4ft, 8ft, 4ft, 10ft. this is between elbows.

Just completed digging and tunneling under the pathway, gonna give it a day so things dry up before I continue with the conduits.

When running conduit, it is not advisable to pull wires as you go as any glue dripping from the joint can damage the insulation on the wires. If you are running conduit, you should have no more than 360 degrees of bends without a pulling access.
You should not use regular PVC pipe and fittings as they are not listed for use with electrical. Grey electrical PVC has the proper UV protection that the regular PVC does not have. (this is if you are using regular PVC)

Romex type of wire other than UF is also not listed for use in wet areas. Outdoor conduit, both above and below grade is considered a wet area. All wire to be used in this application has to be listed as THWN (Thermoplastic Heat and Water Resistant Nylon coated ). Also, romex types of wire do not contain an insulated ground wire that is code in this application.

Also, there are code requirements for burial depth of conduits. I don't have my code book with me at the moment but for some reason, 12" and 18" are both in my head

Danpik, the electrician told me it's 16" deep. It was harder work to clear all the gravel to clear the path than the digging. 10 hours later I now have lights. Wife is also happy now that the outlet is working. We can charge our phones and laptops and get some work done while lounging pool side watching the kids play. Another hour with the pressure washer on the pavers and life's good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.