Please help me diagnose this! Pink bacteria

Great! Then it's just the OCLT passing that will indicate you're done with whatever it was. :) If you have trouble with getting that to pass just let us know and we can offer more possible concerns to check.

One more question for all of you. Is it recommended that I continue to drain the pool down each year due to the Hayward CL200 Puck feeder adding CYA or should I make the switch to a SWG solution in the long run?
Sounds like you have the two options down. Third would be to use liquid chlorine instead, either manually adding daily / every other day, or with a stenner pump style setup.

I use liquid chlorine but am strongly considering SWCG - so far the consensus is that SWCG are the way to go.

One more question for all of you. Is it recommended that I continue to drain the pool down each year due to the Hayward CL200 Puck feeder adding CYA or should I make the switch to a SWG solution in the long run?
Pucks aren’t recommended for daily chlorination here for the reason u noted- they continuously increase cya therefore raising the necessary min fc level pretty much daily making it hard to follow the FC/CYA Levels & making it easy to fall below minimum.
It’s really hard to hit a continuously moving target 🎯 Best to save the pucks for vacations.
Your best bet for now is the liquid chlorine diet since your cya is already 50ppm - if manually dosing daily is a pain you can look into an automatic liquid chlorine doser (like the stenner) or a swg to add the chlorine daily whether u are there or not.
If u go the swg route be sure to get one rated for at least 2x’s your pool volume. So at least a 40k gal rated unit or larger. Their volume ratings are based on them running 24/7 @ 100% - that’s not really something u want to do unless u like replacing expensive cells often. With the prices of trichlor & even liquid chlorine now the swg costs are getting more & more worth it by the day. Upon my last calculation in March a circupool universal 55 would pay for itself in 1.67 seasons vs liquid chlorine in my pool. I have no idea the comparison to trichlor pucks but i bet its even better especially if u factor in all the baking soda needed to keep ta up & all the water replacement due to high cya.

that I continue to drain the pool down each year
You need to drain much more often than once a year. When CYA gets to 60, then 1/3 to 1/2 drain. Repeat.

SWCG is great. Short season makes it more difficult to justify on purely economic reasons.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so now I need to maintain a Free Chlorine level of 8-12ppm just to be safe. And I need to keep an eye on rising CYA it sounds like as well. Thank you all!
Minimum for cya of 50 is 4ppm. Do what u need to do to stay above that.
High target 🎯 is 8ppm so dosing to that or a scootch higher with liquid gives u wiggle room incase of high bather load, high uv day etc.
If u discontinue use of the tablets & stabilized chlorine products & use liquid chlorine your cya won’t continue to rise.
As cya increases your necessary fc min increases. FC/CYA Levels
Here’s how each dissolved 3” tab effects your water 👇
12C0DEF9-7952-4092-B89E-F8FE5DEF6052.png

Reactions: IceShadow
Hello all: I just want to take some time here to thank everyone for coaching me through this SLAM process and encouraging me to stick to this. Chlorine has been much easier to control now in my pool, there is no sign of the pink bacteria returning, and the water looks incredible. The staining is even starting to lift now using Metal Magic and Jack's Pink Stuff at very low doses. Thank you all again so much!

My only issue right now is high CYA around 70? I am going to consider draining the pool by about 50% here using a pump and refilling to lower the CYA.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.