Please Help Me Continue Search for Pool Leak

Jul 15, 2016
Florida
Thanks for all the continued support on here for continuing to search for my mystery pool leak. I have been told by a leakfinder company that the leak is in my skimmer/skimmer line. He couldn't find exactly where but thinks its on the outlet of the skimmer. He told me it would be $2k to dig out the skimmer and replace it. Before I spend any more money, I want to be certain this is the case. My pool continues to loose 1/4" a day and I have confirmed it is not evaporation with a bucket test. The rate of leak seems to be consistent day or night and whether the pump is running or not. I have my doubts on his findings and decided to drain my pool down to below my skimmer level and marked it this morning. I filled the skimmer back up with water to the top of the basket. If the skimmer is the leak point, shouldn't I notice a drop in the water level rather quick since the volume of water in the skimmer is significantly less than the entire pool? Or is my logic here flawed? I would think that it should drain out completely if the leak is in fact in the skimmer outlet. At my estimates with my pool, 1/4" per day is equal to about 50 gallons of water (2gph). Thanks.

It should drain out of the skimmer if there is a leak in the bottom area of the skimmer or anywhere below where you filled it. It should tell you something.

If the skimmer does drain out entirely, it's in your plumbing somewhere between the skimmer and pump. It may stop right at the level of the leak in the skimmer if let go long enough. If the skimmer does not drain at all, it could still be in the faceplate area or mouth of the skimmer. If so, I would fill the pool back up to above the skimmer opening, then with the pump off, use a syringe with food coloring in it to see if the dye gets sucked into any cracks in corners or near faceplate. See here for a similar method: Swimming Pool Leak Detection - Continental Pools Inc. - YouTube You could even do this now inside the skimmer when it's full of water.

...decided to drain my pool down to below my skimmer level and marked it this morning. I filled the skimmer back up with water to the top of the basket. If the skimmer is the leak point, shouldn't I notice a drop in the water level rather quick since the volume of water in the skimmer is significantly less than the entire pool? ...

Are you saying the water level in the skimmer DID drop after draining the pool to below the skimmer? If so doesn't that confirm its a skimmer leak?

How much concrete do they need to remove to access the line? Any chance its time for a new pool deck?

Thanks for the feedback. The water level in the skimmer has not dropped but it's only been half a day. At a 2GPH leak I assumed I would start seeing it immediately since the skimmer doesn't hold much water.

Not sure about the work involved but the pool deck still has some life left.

Already gone the syringe route and also brought in a leak finde company. Maybe I need to find a better guy.

Just trying to picture what the $2k covers. Sounds like a lot to dig out the skimmer and pipe. But maybe a lot of the work is jackhammering the concrete and re-pouring it. If it was me, I wouldn't spend money unless I did a pressure test that plumbers perform. They use something like this: DANCO 0 - 15 psi 1/10 Increment Gas Test Gauge-94352 - The Home Depot. You plug one end of the line, probably the skimmer, and add a pressure valve on the other end (which will require some work). Apply pressure and see if it drops over the next day. I think home depot sells them. You could do this to both skimmer lines if you have two.

water leaks wont be affected by volume of water, but by height, if the skimmer only water is the same as pool normally filled up then it will leak the same, if skimmer only level is lower then the leak will have less pressure on it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.