Please help ( long story )

I can’t tell if I have dirt , filter sand or mustard algae. My floor always had this fine dirt looking stuff and I vaccume every other day. It says mustard algae is chlorine resistant. Will the overnight chlorine test show if it’s mustard algae or not ?

I can’t tell if I have dirt , filter sand or mustard algae. My floor always had this fine dirt looking stuff and I vaccume every other day. It says mustard algae is chlorine resistant. Will the overnight chlorine test show if it’s mustard algae or not ?
OCLT will tell you if you have algae of any sort. Get your OCLT on...

Can you post some pictures?

Quick background . Last summer I wasn’t able to keep up on the pool. It kept getting green algae on floor. I would brush is up than shock it. Basically it was all going into the sand filter. It kept returning.
This year I’ve been following the methods here. My pool is always crystal clear. I now have a battery operated vaccume with a fine particle sock. It says it will trap algae and fine sand ect. That’s what I always use. However I keep getting stuff on bottom of pool on a daily basis.
Last night I vacuumed the bottom and it was perfect. I performed the overnight chlorine loss test and passed. I didn’t lose any. But the spots came back . They always do. The spots aren’t stubborn. I can just wave my foot on top of them and they disappear. They also never appear on the walls .
I want to ask some questions and I’ll take advice I’ll leave the pics .
1. If it was mustard algae would I have failed the overnight chlorine loss test ?
2. Is it dead green algae that could be in my pool filter from past bad practices?
3. I assume theirs no need to slam since I passed the overnight test correct ?
4.I’m thinking this weekend when I have the time to vaccume to waste with the standard vaccume and hose the pool came with. Once done I’ll shut the filter off and replace the sand. Maybe the sand is terrible ?
5. If I’m going about this wrong please give me advice. I do have alot of trees in my back yard but dirt can’t accumulate in 8 hours I don’t think could it ?

Attachments

• D03565BF-F228-4B97-AFE3-24BEB51F2696.jpeg
    D03565BF-F228-4B97-AFE3-24BEB51F2696.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3. I assume theirs no need to slam since I passed the overnight test correct ?
Actually one of the reasons to SLAM is appearance of algae, so yep, you do.

No, don't change the sand. A SLAM will take care of anything living in the filter. Sand in a filter lasts forever. Just backwash when dirty pressure is 25% above clean pressure.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

Actually one of the reasons to SLAM is appearance of algae, so yep, you do.

No, don't change the sand. A SLAM will take care of anything living in the filter. Sand in a filter lasts forever. Just backwash when dirty pressure is 25% above clean pressure.

Nice to meet you via TFP :)
So you think that’s algae In the pic ?
When slamming can I use my battery vaccume ? It has a fine sock like I said and says it captures algae .
If I have algae why did I pass the overnight chlorine loss test ? I’m so lost . Thanks for helping 👍

Capture some in your fingers if you can, or with a paper towel. See if it's slippery. Another way to test is first brush the area, and then place a chlorine puck over part of it (the solid stuff, aka trichlor) for around 5 minutes. Then remove it and look again in a couple of hours and see if it died.

The OCLT should rule it out, but if it's in a spot where there's poor water circulation, it may not show up in an OCLT (for example inside a ladder, or maybe hiding in a wrinkle of vinyl).

Reactions: Mdragger88
What you say you have.
Would you say this is algae ? I did a overnight chlorine loss test and it passed. At night I had a perfectly clean bottom in the morning I had this . But again didn’t lose any chlorine. Should I slam ? Change sand in filter . I use a battery vac with a sock .

Attachments

• 01339B88-9A85-443A-A8A5-6CD079D15782.jpeg
    01339B88-9A85-443A-A8A5-6CD079D15782.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BFFAADD6-495F-43BD-AB43-D37BC98B6171.jpeg
    BFFAADD6-495F-43BD-AB43-D37BC98B6171.jpeg
    739.7 KB · Views: 8
Did you do what needsajet said above? Do that with the material. It looks like dead algae. It is very unlikely to be mustard algae.

I screwed up. I’ve been slamming the pool for 24 hours now. My ph when I started was 7.9 which is too high. Can I add ph down during the slam or should I wait until fc comes back down and start the process over ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.