Please Help-Green, Hazy Water and Zero Free Chlorine since 5/18/15 =-(

I can test the free chlorine - the issue was that I put in 2 dippers of 0870 - turns very pink - then 0871 - I can put in over 100 drops and it doesn't change color.

Now that you've added the Chlorine reducer, can you retest using the FAS/DPD test and report those results. Also, once again use the OTO test (blue box) and post a photo of that.

Question - is R0002 DPD Reagent #2 the same as R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent? Pool person sold me the 0002 to replace my R-0871. I am thinking they are different.....
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7583_zpsebusafrq.jpg

Here is a photo of the blue box test - PH now 7.2 and Cl still orange. Here is a photo of the pool as well. Notice the stain showing up? Not sure what that is. I have brushed and vacuumed the pool and did 2 backwashes and 2 rinse cycles with that after vacuuming. I had vacuumed 2x. I'm adding water since level is down.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7581_zpspbuturpz.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7580_zpsa1rbv3qh.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/jenmazz/IMG_7579_zpsb462ilww.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, use a hose to refill back up to water level. Do you have municipal water or do you have well water for filling?
Municipal water

R-0002 and R-0871 are nothing alike ... stop listening to pool store employees.

In another thread a pool guy was trying to sell a member R-0003 and said it was the same a R-0871 :hammer:\

If they were the same, why would Taylor make the numbers different :suspect:

R-0002 and R-0871 are nothing alike ... stop listening to pool store employees.

In another thread a pool guy was trying to sell a member R-0003 and said it was the same a R-0871 :hammer:\

If they were the same, why would Taylor make the numbers different :suspect:
UGH!!!! Okay, I did order 0871 and 0013 online yesterday but it won't come until later this week. I thought that I'd pick up a bottle to hold me over. They didn't have 0013 and said 0002 was the same as 0871. I will look up where I can buy 0871 via a store so I can test this today and I will look for 0013 while I am at it.
Thanks

Looks like you can only buy them online...no store pick up. I looked up my order and my 0871 is coming sometime next week and the 0013 is coming end of this week.

I just found it on Amazon Prime - $26.00 - will come in 2 days. So I won't have to wait until next week.

Jen,

I'd like to start off by saying a quick suggestion......take a deep breath. :) It's only water. It will be OK, I promise you! If you will, can you PM me your phone number so that I can give you a few tips quickly as opposed to typing them out. They're very basic ones.....I promise. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's almost certain you won't find it in a store. Tftestkits is always dependable. Very seldom are these reagents sold as prime eligeable on Amazon, so no fast cheap shipping there.

Very nice of you to offer the voice to voice help Leebo.

Jen, listen to the folks here and your pool will be great when everything is said and done. I have been following the TFP method for a few years with great success, but late last year I got lazy, water turned cloudy, and I couldn't get it clear before we closed it so you can imagine what it was like when I opened it. I posted for advice and reaffirmation that I was doing things correctly, and everyone here was very helpful. It took me 3 weeks of SLAMing before I passed the OCLT. However, my water is now sparkling. Just stay the course and be patient - it may take awhile before everything is clear.

Jen - very sorry to hear of your troubles and totally feel your stress.

If you feel you can't wait for the reagent, I can bring you some of mine. I live about 80 minutes from you; and I could run it up to you tonight after traffic dies down. It would be a break from brushing my pool.....

Let me know if you're desperate for it or if the amazon order is timely enough for you. Wish I could be of more help.

Hang in there,
Chris

Jen - very sorry to hear of your troubles and totally feel your stress.

If you feel you can't wait for the reagent, I can bring you some of mine. I live about 80 minutes from you; and I could run it up to you tonight after traffic dies down. It would be a break from brushing my pool.....

Let me know if you're desperate for it or if the amazon order is timely enough for you. Wish I could be of more help.

Hang in there,
Chris

Chris that is so kind of you.

Chris! Amazing offer! Without a doubt gold star in your file. It's members actions like that which is what TFP is about. Thank you!

Jen,
It was great talking with you tonight. It really did help clear up some questions. I'd now like to fill others in on our conversation.

Jen moved into the house this year and opened to a "clear" pool in May. After getting a slight hint of a smell she took a sample of water to the Pool Store who asked her to add Ch increaser and Shock. She added the calcium and then shock shortly after, and it turned the water a greenish tint. After some metal remover was added it cleared up again, only to turn greenish again after more shock was added. This issues somewhat points to metals in the water. She is using a municipal water supply, however isn't sure if the previous owner used a copper based algicide.

Seeing that her CYA level is currently reading around 80ppm, higher than I'd personally like to see in a non swg pool, and questionable metal content I have suggested she drain about 25% to 50% of her water (remember Jen, leave at least a foot in the shallow end...not deep end as my stupid rear said) to help lower her cya level. She's in the process of doing that now. By the time that's all complete her reagents should arrive to give us reliable results we need. From there we can hit the SLAM Process process and clear this up.

it would be my pleasure if I can help; and i enjoy driving much more than brushing my own algae. Just hoping Jen's issues are resolved quicker if possible so she can enjoy her pool with her family rather than stressing over it.

Just saw the updated info. Good stuff - I'm still here if you need a hand/reagent post-drain/refill.

Best of luck, Jen!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.