Please HELP CYA 92 and water is cloudy. chlorine disappearing

I think my plan will be to keep free chlorine level at approx 7.5 as well as adjusting for proper PH for the rest of our pool season. I usually shut down the heater after September long weekend. I will use DE in my sand filter to try to eliminate some of the cloudiness. I really don't want to drain 45% of the water this late in the season. When I winterize this fall I will ensure that I eliminate enough pool water so that next spring with a fresh fill my CYA should be at a manageable level. Hopefully 40.
Thanks so much to everyone who offered me much valuable advice. I have learned a lot in the past week or so.
Now that I know how to use my new Test Kit I am looking forward to using it next season.

Reactions: mariane
Has your pool gone through a heavy freeze thaw cycle yet? Remember to keep an eye on the ground and the freeze thaw cycles. Some have found the ground around their pool heaves up and if you remove too much water it can cause the pool to shift.
Check the forum for winterizing recommendations for IGP.

My igp was built in 1981. I have been on the property since 1991 and have not seen much shifting although I usually eliminated pool water about 4 inches or so below the jets. I will check out the winterization tips posted on the site. thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I will eliminate water as I usually do in my normal winterization and then eliminate more in the spring prior to the fresh refill to guard against any shifting.....

Yup. That is the plan.....

Reactions: mariane and Bperry
Update:
I decided to check the sand in my hayward filter. When I twisted the head off the center pipe dislodged. I decided to replace the sand as I had to take the old sand out. The sand had some cottonwood fluff in it...
I replaced the sand on Friday evening. I checked the water the next morning. Still cloudy but a little better. The PH as a little high so I added Muriatic Acid. I check 2 hours later and my pool water was clear. I have since vacuumed it 3 times and water is excellent. CYA is still high but I am ensuring that my chlorine is good. So looks like I should have a good remainder of the pool season. Thanks again for all the advice. This is a great site with load of information and very knowledgeable people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.