Please crunch my numbers for me.....then advice is needed.

Lana537

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello All~~

I'm asking for a little extra help, above and beyond the usual.....

My laptop isn't getting along with the Pool Calculator--I'm getting some very unrealistic numbers as results for what chems to add, so please can someone do this for me?

Here's my info:

23,600 gallon pool
Pebbletec 2010 renovation
Triangle area, North Carolina

Pool has loop-loc cover on for the winter.
Pump-filter is running all year, through the winter.
Chlorine source is Cal-hypo put weekly into pump strainer basket by pool service guys (similar test kit to mine), since our Pool Pilot died a year ago.
pH control is CO2 tank and Chemtrol Controller

I have not been at house for several months. I returned last week.

Testing done by me yesterday with Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Free Chlorine is 4.8
Combined Chloramines are 0
pH is 7.2
Total Alkalinity is 80
Calcium is 350
CYA is 45
Phosphates are 300-500
Salt is 1320; since Pool Pilot died last year, I've not kept the salt up.
Borates are 15

Pool temperature is 55 degrees at the skimmers.

Pool Calculator says my CSI is a dangerous --0.64

What advice can you give me?

Thank you very much for your help.

Lana

The CSI indicates corrosive and bad for plaster pools.

I am looking for how much borax or washing soda or whatever else to add to get the water balance up above -0.64

I DO have washing soda in the house, so I am first of all looking for how much of that I can use to get my pool out of the danger zone.

I do not have a car; I am recuperating from chemo treatment, so I am looking for what to buy (if it can't be done with washing soda), and how much to use.

Thanks~~

I agree everything is fine except pH is too low. Raising your pH to 7.6 will get your CSI out of the danger zone also, getting it above -0.6 will get you out of the danger zone. Ideally you want CSI to be between -0.3 and +0.3. You can adjust CSI by changing pH, TA and/or CH. The good news is you don't need to buy anything to raise your pH, just aerate the water. Or there are chems you can use to raise it as well, see below.

More here on how to raise PH, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

The Chemtrol is now recalibrated based on my test results. DH did the adjustments via internet from Illinois!

I can't aerate because pool cover is on.

Will use Washing Soda, which is what I have on hand, in small increments over a few days, testing every day. I regret not getting fresh Taylor reagents for base demand and acid demand. That was dumb. I said to myself--when will I ever need these reagents? and poo-poo'ed them. Bad Lana.

Will report back in a few days.

Thank you very much for your help!

DH just suggested that I use the Trouble Free Pool Calculator from my iPhone, and sure enough, it worked and gave me realistic numbers. I just needed good numbers from the Calculator!

It says to add 40 oz of washing soda, which I will do over two days.

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.