Two Speed Pump SP2610X152S
Cost: $300
High Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 67 GPM, 2.7 gallons/watt-hr
Low Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 34 GPM, 5.4 gallons/watt-hr

EcoStar Pump
Cost: $900
High Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 40 GPM, 12.3 gallons/watt-hr
Low Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 30 GPM, 15.3 gallons/watt-hr

Over 60 months of operation, the EcoStar will save around $1000 in total costs including the difference in price. Even if you assumed that the EcoStar would run at the same flow rate as the two speed both high and low, it would still come out ahead by over $500.

If you do go with the EcoStar, look into the ProLogic instead of the AquaLogic as the later is being phased out.

Would the Feds really make me yank out my 1-speed pump in a few years? Seems hard to believe. I'm leaning toward VSP anyway, just need to convince the builder, he was pushing the 2-speed or even both a 1hp and 1/2hp.

waste said:
Hi again :)

I suggested keeping the proposed 2 speed pump because it will be mandatory (within a few years - the Feds are gonna make it mandatory within a couple of years).

You've heard from Mark (mas985) on this - and he's the best guy here to tell you about this sort of stuff! :cool:

If you have to run a 1.5 HP pump on high to make the solar work, it's still better than running a 400 BTU heater. And, as was pointed out, you won't always need to have the solar active :cheers: You'll also be able to run it on low at night and enjoy those savings :goodjob:

I'm trying to get you a pump they will not only fulfill you immediate needs, but also comply with laws that will soon be enacted :-D

Thanks for the math... seems like it would take me about 5 summers for the Ecostar to pay for itself in MI. As for the pro-logic, we already decided on the P/S-8.

Mike

mas985 said:
If you assume the following:

Two Speed Pump SP2610X152S
Cost: $300
High Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 67 GPM, 2.7 gallons/watt-hr
Low Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 34 GPM, 5.4 gallons/watt-hr

EcoStar Pump
Cost: $900
High Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 40 GPM, 12.3 gallons/watt-hr
Low Speed Run Time: 1 Turn/day @ 30 GPM, 15.3 gallons/watt-hr

Over 60 months of operation, the EcoStar will save around $1000 in total costs including the difference in price. Even if you assumed that the EcoStar would run at the same flow rate as the two speed both high and low, it would still come out ahead by over $500.

If you do go with the EcoStar, look into the ProLogic instead of the AquaLogic as the later is being phased out.

Your builder is probably leaning toward the 1or2 speed because he's familiar with it. The gov't wouldn't make you pull a single speed. Two speed meets CA's code, but MI may not get any code requirements for a long time. Southern CA is the only place the codes exist now. Don't worry about the Ecostar paying for itself completely, just look at the cost difference between that and the two speed, since you have to have a pump, you're main decision is on the upgrade. Plus, you never know what energy rates will do tomorrow, although they sure aren't gonna go down. I think the Ecostar is worth it. Single and two-speed motors are not the same quality as the motors used on the VSP, so you'll likely have fewer problems there as well. Most pump mfg. (Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc.) purchase the electric motors from a vendor who specializes in motors, then assemble the motor onto the pump assembly. Quality of the motor isn't actually the "fault" of the pump mfg., but they will honor the warranty. I met a guy this year with an EcoStar who did not have solar, but was only spending .25 per day to run his pump at 40 gpm & pool stayed crystal clear. BTW, your filter is also more efficient at the lower speeds.

mschmidt33 said:
Thanks for the math... seems like it would take me about 5 summers for the Ecostar to pay for itself in MI. As for the pro-logic, we already decided on the P/S-8.

Double check with Hayward to make sure that the PS8 will control the EcoStar adequately. There may be some limitations.

The Prologic PS-8 only requires only one relay to operate the Ecostar, just like the normal filter pump. The other speeds are driven by software via a comm wire. Other controllers (Jandy/Compool) can operate the Ecostar as well, but will require one relay per speed. For older Aqualogic systems, it may require a board upgrade to control the VSP.

Update... I'm roughing in the location of the pool, fence, and decking. See below for some pics. Any comments are welcome. I want to make sure we have enough concrete as I can't add any later without a big tearup. Let me know what you guys think. Don't know where to put the firepit... I'm thinking on the existing patio. It also looks like we will have a lot of landscaping to do all the way around the fence. It is so hard to anticipate how we are going to use certain areas without ever owning a pool before... Comments please.

PoolModel2.jpg

PoolModel1.jpg

Dont know which way is north or south, but would suggest putting chairs IN the sun onthe south side. Also patio tables/shade umbrellas are nice on the west side where they can block hot afternoon sun.

Consider adding plumbing for a future pressure side cleaner (inexpensive now) .....I predict you will want one. They can be cheaper than the robot. Robot may be overkill for pool your size anyway.

I also lean towards 2 skimmers.

I also recommend 400k btu heater (Max E Therm) is a nice one.

Take into account trees and leaves. Lots of fall leaves will be bad in your pool (lots of work for you).

I have a ProLogic PS8 and love it. However, I have heard the control boards are sensitive to power surges and some individuals have had theirs blownout. To prevent this I installed a whole house surge protector at my electrical panel (about $80...installed myself).

I have also heard the AquaPod eventually gets water in it and dies. The cheaper control panels are both cheaper and may last longer. You can even place one in the house (luxury), but having one at pool side is nice and it doesn't need to be wireless, just fixed and reliable.

An extra 80 sq ft of solar would be nice if you have room for it but not mandatory.

Most installers will install the pool water temp sensor in the pvc line coming off the pump. This works fine when water is flowing through the pump. If you want to know the temp of the pool when the pump is off, then it doesn't work. Have your installer run a small pvc line out into the pool similar to a return jet and run the temp probe through that line. That way you can have real pool water temp regardless of if the pump is on or not.

For the deep middle section I would go a bit deeper (at least 7 feet) but that is personal preference and depends on what you will use the pool for. After saying that, I will say we spend most of our time in the pool at arm-pit depth about 4.5 ft. deep water. I have young kids and when throwing them around the pool I won't toss them into anything shallower than 4.5 ft deep for safety reasons....just my preference.

If you require water being trucked in, you may want to consider a non-backwash filter such as a cartridge filter. I have a >500 sq ft. cartridge filter (oversized) and clean it twice a year if it needs it or not. :)

I have learned that even with a heated pool, I won't swim if the ambient air temp is below 50 degrees. However, I will jump in the SPA with ambient temps all the way down to 35 degrees! In the cold winter we spend more time in the SPA and in the summer more time in the pool.

Make sure you have room on your patio for a storage box for pool toys. It is easy to acquire a large collection and they are big and bulky.

I have the aluminum safety pool fence. It is fine. I chose to install 2 gates....on opposite ends of the pool to make access more convenient. In reality I don't use the far gate that often, definitely a luxury.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.