Please advise with help on pool

Have you fished this guy out yet?

View attachment 29947

Only parts. I think the majority is still down there. I'm switching to harpoons.

- - - Updated - - -

Omg yuck! I love it! You're doing great and this really is going to make an awesome inspirational thread!

Keep up the fight!

Thanks for the support, I'm trying! I swear I think the leaves are conducting evasive maneuvers. One day I'll scoop and nothing. The next day I'll have to let it drain some before I can swing the net into the wheelbarrow.

Thanks, I think that was part of my problem. I went back and measured TA and it was 40. I added the "correct" amount and then it swung back way high. So, after that, I decided to measure the pool volume myself rather than use what the pool store provided (yeah, I know...). Turns out my 45,000 gallon pool is actually a 32,500 gallon pool.

After I get the PH right I'm about to start the SLAM. Should I go ahead and add baking soda to being up the TA too?

I'm not sure if anyone picked up on the fact that you may have added CYA based on the 45k calculation aiming for a CYA of 40, and in a 32.5k pool that might be a touch high (approx. 55-60).

I'm not sure if anyone picked up on the fact that you may have added CYA based on the 45k calculation aiming for a CYA of 40, and in a 32.5k pool that might be a touch high (approx. 55-60).

Hmm...that's an excellent point. Thanks for catching that. It looks like that's what happened. I went and yanked out what wasn't dissolved. Can I test CYA during a SLAM?

CYA tested at what appeared to be 30. Of course this was my first "successful" CYA test as it didn't even register prior to the SLAM, so I could be off. I initially stopped around 40 but then could still barely see the dot.

Would it be better to enter CYA a little high (say 35 or 40) and raise FC to that level instead?

Well, still chugging along. Here's what it looks like right now:

I did a lot of vacuuming this morning so that stirred things up and made it a little murkier.

I felt like my flow wasn't as good so I decided to do another deep clean on the filter. I did one before I started the SLAM but I think it needed it:

Assuming a worse case scenario, at this point how frequently do you think the filter gets so full it no longer works? I'm wondering if I should deep clean every couple of days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I don't want to backwash too frequently as it appears sand filters work better dirty, but with the amount of crud I'm filtering out I'm also concerned with it clogging and cutting channels, thereby causing a reduction in the filtering.

How much pressure rise are you seeing?

How often are you backwashing?

Your filter is undersized for the pool and it's sand so it is going to take longer to clear the pool. Don't think you need to deep clean every few days, but after you get finished with SLAM or towards the end when you maybe are having trouble with passing OCLT.

Keep that FC at or slightly above 12 as much as you can. Have to hit it hard and as often as you can.

I'll note pressure drop today after I backwash and post back. I'm backwashing at least once a day or maybe a little more often if I notice a drastic change in flow from the jets. I'm testing three times a day at least. I'm trying to keep FC around 16 now since I initially calculated CYA with the wrong pool volume and my CYA may be a little high. FC has been holding at 10 or higher for the last few days and CC has been around 1-1.5.

It's not much different than the picture I posted yesterday. The filtering is going REALLY slowly it seems. Makes more sense to me now given what JVTrain said about the filter being undersized.

I ran across some skimmer nets at Lowes and got them to try. Maybe they'll help a little bit.

Yup, those are tadpoles. I'm not even going to tell you how many were in there. Let's just say the backyard reeked of death and chlorine those first few days.

They actually were belly up pretty quickly during the rise to shock level. About 15 gallons in they were floating. Now, I'm about 75 gallons into keeping it that way...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.