playing around with phosphates, could mine really be this high?

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
after reading some threads on this and having a little trouble with keeping chlorine levels a few weeks ago* I decided to try removing phosphates this year. being on a ranch in AZ and the pool being about 200 yards from livestock corrals I figured it was equivalent to golf course levels of fertilizer runoff. LOL

tested at what I thought was 4000 ppb (taylor k-1106) and put about 2/3 cup orenda pr-1000 in split doses a few days ago. first dose was later in evening and drizzling so I didn't notice if it clouded up, next day or so added second 1/3 cup and it clouded nicely. day after water looked great and pressure in filter was quite high. backwashed and waited a couple more days. tested again just now and it is still at 4000!

am I on the right track? is is ok to put more remover in? the instructions say no more than 8 ounces in a 10,000 gal pool at one time.

* also SLAMmed and upped CYA a bit, so not sure exactly why water looks so good and is holding chlorine better now, but want to keep on with this if I am reading the phosphate tests right. I just did the high level one today, thinking it would read low and then I could get more precise with the lower level version. was surprised that it was still so high.

TFP really doesn't have much interest in phosphates. We discourage testing for them or trying to eliminate them.

Like TDS, we think it is a parameter that has little meaning.

After 9 years here at TFP and over 1,000 posts, have you not seen that posted before?

ppb is Parts per Billion whereas most chemical we talk about ppm Parts Per Million.

4000 ppb of phosphates is not high. If you had 10,000 or more that would be high.

Your water looks good and is holding chlorine well. Why bother playing around with phosphate removers?

TFP really doesn't have much interest in phosphates. We discourage testing for them or trying to eliminate them.

Like TDS, we think it is a parameter that has little meaning.

After 9 years here at TFP and over 1,000 posts, have you not seen that posted before?
of course I know it is not all that important. it is a $40 experiment, and actually I never would have given it a thought but I was reading here Phosphate Removers - Further Reading

ppb is Parts per Billion whereas most chemical we talk about ppm Parts Per Million.

4000 ppb of phosphates is not high. If you had 10,000 or more that would be high.

Your water looks good and is holding chlorine well. Why bother playing around with phosphate removers?
mostly just experimenting with it. :testkit:

also the test is blue colors, my favorite:laughblue:

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.