Play the what is this game with me.

dldeuce

May 22, 2022
Houston TX
I just bought this house, and I have a few questions about the pool equipment. They had been running only the chlorine tablets, so the CYA is off the scale. It's expensive in Houston to drain 2/3 of the pool, so I thought I would drain before it rains and then let the rain dilute it over time. Well, the rain was a bit short this week to refill, so now I discover this. What is this?

In my old pool, I just had a valve on a faucet that just poured into the pool manually with straight plumbing. This is obviously a float valve to automatically maintain the water level, but how does it work? It seems to only allow a trickle into the pool. Does this not allow you to just turn on the faucet and get the full flow into the pool? If I really drained down the pool, would I need to just drop a water hose in from the faucet?image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

That's really not designed to fill the pool, just to keep up with evaporation. So it doesn't need to support very much flow.

Thank you all for that. That's kind of a flimsy float valve that was just trickling water and I thought there might be something wrong with it. I noticed they had the valve closed on it.

Now, let's keep playing.

I have a main pump with a manual valve that selects between drawing from a skimmer or the main drain. image7.jpeg

It also has an auto valve that can draw from the spa. First, I presume that in the position shown, the skimmer is turned off. Is that correct? Should I normally draw from the skimmer or the main drain? Second, when would I ever want to draw from the spa on the main pump and why is that on an auto valve?

First, I presume that in the position shown, the skimmer is turned off. Is that correct?
Correct. Look for "Off" embossed on the handle. It sits over the closed line.
Should I normally draw from the skimmer or the main drain?
Skimmer. The main drain serves little purpose other than adding a bit of circulation to the deep end. The priority is skimming the surface before debris sinks. Some like to keep the main drain open 10% or so.
when would I ever want to draw from the spa on the main pump and why is that on an auto valve?
You likely have an automation system with a Spa Mode option. When activated, the suction valve moves to pull water only from the spa and the return valve moves to send all water to the spa. This isolates the spa which allows all pump pressure to go to the spa (you get bubbles). You'll be able to heat the smaller body of water much more quickly.

Correct. Look for "Off" embossed on the handle. It sits over the closed line.

Skimmer. The main drain serves little purpose other than adding a bit of circulation to the deep end. The priority is skimming the surface before debris sinks. Some like to keep the main drain open 10% or so.

You likely have an automation system with a Spa Mode option. When activated, the suction valve moves to pull water only from the spa and the return valve moves to send all water to the spa. This isolates the spa which allows all pump pressure to go to the spa (you get bubbles). You'll be able to heat the smaller body of water much more quickly.
Thank you. Now look at this picture.

image8.jpeg
I have a separate pump for the spa. Draws from the spa pumps to the spa. Like you said, in spa mode, the main pump is drawing from the spa, heating the water and returning to the spa. What does this pump do?

I don't know. I can't afford two pumps.

The way it appears, it bypasses the filter and heater, is that correct? If so, you probably have two sets of return running to the spa. These just add more bubbles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so now let's look at this nonsense. It's got a UV system. I thought it was BS when I first saw it, and confirmed that by doing a quick search here before I bought the house. How does the plumbing work here though? Looks like it's coming out of the filter in and out of the heater.
I notice there's a crossover pipe though from the inlet to the outlet of the heater. What's that for?image4.jpeg

Circular device is a check valve to try and protect your heater from the acidic water in the chlorinator.

Pipe with ball valve may be for spa spillover while in pool mode.

In that canister are the valves that cycle your In Floor Cleaning system (IFCS),

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.