Good outcome!

Shows again that these cowboys are just trying to blame everything on "poor" water chemistry to wiggle out of their responsibilities, despite the fact that they have no clue what "good" water chemistry looks like. Unfortunately, this seems to work too often, so they keep trying.

Reactions: Newdude
That is excellent news!
Yes, I'm relieved. While I'm willing to do whatever it takes to resolve this I'd much rather put my energy into more positive things than fighting with the plaster company. If things change and we need to do the testing I'll reach back out for the names of those companies. Fingers crossed I don't have to. I really appreciate all the information you provided me with. There's so much as a first time pool owner we don't know, you taking the time to educate me is very much appreciated.

Reactions: kul and JamesW
Good outcome!

Shows again that these cowboys are just trying to blame everything on "poor" water chemistry to wiggle out of their responsibilities, despite the fact that they have no clue what "good" water chemistry looks like. Unfortunately, this seems to work too often, so they keep trying.
Yes! I think they thought I'd back down because I don't know enough to argue with them. But when I said not only will I not go away, but I'm going to prove I'm in the right and when I do you'll not only honor your warranty, but reimburse me for out of pocket expenses they realized this wasn't going to end well for them. I don't like being pushed around and taken advantage of, it just makes me more determined to get to the appropriate resolution.

Grab a few pieces of the old plaster as it is chipped off and grab a sample of the new plaster.

Maybe have a plastic cup and ask for a sample as the workers are applying the plaster.

Keep the sample on hand for future reference or maybe just send both samples off for analysis if the cost of analysis is low enough.

Grab a few pieces of the old plaster as it is chipped off and grab a sample of the new plaster.

Maybe have a plastic cup and ask for a sample as the workers are applying the plaster.

Keep the sample on hand for future reference or maybe just send both samples off for analysis if the cost of analysis is low enough.
Great idea! I'll do that.

Reactions: JamesW
And if they are replacing the plaster, be sure to get it in writing that they are doing a full chip out. You want all the old plaster removed, not just around the waterline tiles. You do not want new plaster applied over the original (bad) plaster surface.

And if they are replacing the plaster, be sure to get it in writing that they are doing a full chip out. You want all the old plaster removed, not just around the waterline tiles. You do not want new plaster applied over the original (bad) plaster surface.
I didn't even know not doing a full chip out was a thing. I will be here when they do it and will make sure to discuss this with our builder as he works out the details. Thank you for the heads up!

I didn't even know not doing a full chip out was a thing. I will be here when they do it and will make sure to discuss this with our builder as he works out the details. Thank you for the heads up!
Be sure it's in writing before any work starts.

While you are talking with the builder about doing a full chipout you want to understand the exact method they will use to remove the plaster. If chisels are being used then flat chisels should be used, not pointed chisels which remove gunite with the plaster and weaken the shell. High strength water blasting is good. Sand blasting is very messy.

A bond coat should be put on the gunite after chipout and before plaster. Basecrete is a good bond coat.

Don’t be surprised if you get calcium nodules after a few years. Chipouts and replastering come with their own set of problems.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might share the below article with your pool builder about proper plastering. Perhaps it would help him obtain the best plaster possible quality plaster job for his clients.

I asked the owner of the plaster company how much calcium chloride they use and he says a .5% was used.
There might also be an issue of how the calcium chloride was added.

The calcium chloride might not be evenly distributed and some areas might have higher concentrations than other areas.

You might test ten samples and get ten different results with maybe 0.1% to 10% depending on if the workers were not careful on how they mixed the product.

Reactions: cindyflynn
Following up. NPT came out today and they agree this is not due to water chemistry, but how the plaster was mixed. They'll be providing the replacement product to replaster. I was sure they would try to blame us too. What a relief to not have to battle it out with someone else. New plaster to be done in January 😊.

Last edited:
Please tell me you got this in writing! I am SO happy for you! Now lets look at these links so you can learn how to have the best plaster job out there:

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool
Thanks. The details are being worked out between plasterer, builder and manufacturer. Then I'll ask them to put it all in writing if my builder hasn't already received something.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.