Plaster Issues on New Pool

Moneil

Aug 29, 2023
Florida
Pool started about 10 months ago.

Plaster was installed March of 2023. We have a Nassau Reserve finish from Florida Stucco. There is a spot on the North wall of the pool where the finish was over exposed while acid washing the pool the initial day it was installed, prior to being filled with water. There is heavy pitting in that area as well.

Pool contractor came out in April 2023 to look at it, as I had brought it up shortly after I noticed how uneven it was. He wouldn't look at it until 30 days of brushing. He is insisting that rest of the pool should match this area, but did not look at it closely or feel the finish with his hand. I was unaware of the pitting at this time, so I didn't bring it up. After Swimming in the pool with goggles I noticed the pitting.

His solution original solution was to drop the PH of the pool to try to even it up. I did not agree with this solution as I don't understand how this properly fixes the problem. After bring up the pitting he mentioned acid washing it and possibly buffing.

I have not paid my final instalment of $20K and do not plan on doing so until the problem is fixed correctly.

I was advised to reach out to Florida Stucco to ask them if the Pool Contractor's solution would void my warranty with them. After reaching out, I received a call from Area Representative from a blocked number, said he would need to come and look at it along with Pool Contractor. He was going to reach out to the Pool Contractor directly, have not heard back from either.

My questions are:

1. Is this an acceptable way in the industry to handle a heavily over exposed area like this?

2. How should I handle final payment, loan company is pushing to have me sign off on final payment?

3. It has been 4 months since anyone has been to my home from the pool company, what rights do they have as far as a mechanics lien?

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree that additional acid washes probably won't resolve the problem and could potentially cause more problems. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough on surfaces to know what could be done at this point to resolve the pitting issue.

Let's ask @onBalance and @AQUA~HOLICS for some feedback.

Pool started about 10 months ago.

Plaster was installed March of 2023. We have a Nassau Reserve finish from Florida Stucco. There is a spot on the North wall of the pool where the finish was over exposed while acid washing the pool the initial day it was installed, prior to being filled with water. There is heavy pitting in that area as well.

Pool contractor came out in April 2023 to look at it, as I had brought it up shortly after I noticed how uneven it was. He wouldn't look at it until 30 days of brushing. He is insisting that rest of the pool should match this area, but did not look at it closely or feel the finish with his hand. I was unaware of the pitting at this time, so I didn't bring it up. After Swimming in the pool with goggles I noticed the pitting.

His solution original solution was to drop the PH of the pool to try to even it up. I did not agree with this solution as I don't understand how this properly fixes the problem. After bring up the pitting he mentioned acid washing it and possibly buffing.

I have not paid my final instalment of $20K and do not plan on doing so until the problem is fixed correctly.

I was advised to reach out to Florida Stucco to ask them if the Pool Contractor's solution would void my warranty with them. After reaching out, I received a call from Area Representative from a blocked number, said he would need to come and look at it along with Pool Contractor. He was going to reach out to the Pool Contractor directly, have not heard back from either.

My questions are:

1. Is this an acceptable way in the industry to handle a heavily over exposed area like this?

2. How should I handle final payment, loan company is pushing to have me sign off on final payment?

3. It has been 4 months since anyone has been to my home from the pool company, what rights do they have as far as a mechanics lien?

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!
The part that’s over exposed can’t really be fixed. The acid washing proposal is to overexpose the rest of the pool so it looks more like that area.

I can only respond to question #1.
IMO, the north wall is very rough and not what is considered normal and acceptable.
Bperry is correct that additional acid washing will remove more of the cement and over-expose the aggregate. Long-term, a rough surface will discolor and stain easier and become very blotchy. And a replaster will come much sooner than normal.

Can you obtain a coupon sample of the Nassau Reserve finish from Florida Stucco? If so, use that coupon as the expected finish result and demand that your pool finish matches that sample.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.